Replacement Ghost

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
You are absolutely correct...its hit or miss. But once one big blue brings the hammer down,
you get worried its always gonna happen. So you return it. Then 4 months later your
bat cracks and your SOL now :)

And you cant even take it out on umps, they are told to do it...because rule reads any rattle. Doesnt tell umps
to use their judgement on the rattle. You can argue it...haha...but not gonna win.

May 12, 2016
Just got my DD's replacement Ghost. Pretty good CS, although getting a day before we went to a tournament in Huntington Beach would have been better. (lol) Anyway....we went from a 32 (-10) to a 33 (-10). She hit off the Tee today and didn't say anything about it, but when I picked it up I noticed that it definitely seems a bit more end loaded than balanced. I'm not saying anything to DD if she doesn't mention it, but curious if Core or any other bat experts can speak to this?

Thanks
Dave
It would seem more end loaded and I would think it's more the length than the weight.. or a combination of both. Holding a 33 inch bat compared to a 32 inch bat will always feel more end loaded, the mass is further from your wrist/body

May 12, 2016
You are absolutely correct...its hit or miss. But once one big blue brings the hammer down,
you get worried its always gonna happen. So you return it. Then 4 months later your
bat cracks and your SOL now :)

And you cant even take it out on umps, they are told to do it...because rule reads any rattle. Doesnt tell umps
to use their judgement on the rattle. You can argue it...haha...but not gonna win.
Had a ump throw a Xeno out because it sounded strange.. tried to explain to the guy that's the Xeno's clanking unique sound.. he still tossed it anyway, DD was pissed, lol

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Had a ump throw a Xeno out because it sounded strange.. tried to explain to the guy that's the Xeno's clanking unique sound.. he still tossed it anyway, DD was pissed, lol

And it sucks because you cant do anything about it. Guy text me Saturday about an ump that did the same thing to his dd's
Power Carbon.

May 29, 2015
I also think this is part of why bats cost so much.

Parents get nervous that they are going to travel half way across the country to have Mr. Diligent save the world and all of its children because they think a sand sized piece of glue or a paint crack will cause the bat to detonate,taking out the catcher, the corners and the team mascot.

They call the company, voice full of worry, and the company sends them another bat.

I have done this many times.

Going to take some exception with this Westwind. I know it is fun to blame umps, and we are all evil, and it’s always our fault your daughter struck out ... and we probably ran the battery down in your car and stuck that kitten in the tree. :rolleyes: (Sarcastic humor)

I will tell you that I have yet to work with an umpire who wants to check equipment. Most of of us feel it places more burden on us than it takes off of us. But our sanctioning bodies place that duty on us. And while none of of us may like them, rules are in place for a reason.

Let me ask this ... when was the last time any of these happened:
* you, as a coach, inspected your team’s equipment?
* you, as a parent, inspected your daughter’s equipment?
* your daughter’s coach (not you) inspected her equipment?

May 29, 2015
And it sucks because you cant do anything about it. Guy text me Saturday about an ump that did the same thing to his dd's
Power Carbon.

Not sure this fixes that problem, but I adopted a new approach this year. Unless it is egregious/obvious ... If I think I have something (dent, rattle, crack, flexing, etc.) I now set the bat aside and have my partner inspect it also. I will not tell her/him what I have. If we agree, it goes.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Going to take some exception with this Westwind. I know it is fun to blame umps, and we are all evil, and it’s always our fault your daughter struck out ... and we probably ran the battery down in your car and stuck that kitten in the tree. :rolleyes: (Sarcastic humor)

I will tell you that I have yet to work with an umpire who wants to check equipment. Most of of us feel it places more burden on us than it takes off of us. But our sanctioning bodies place that duty on us. And while none of of us may like them, rules are in place for a reason.

LOL - good one blue! Just like with coaches and toxic players/parents....one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. Some area's have a higher concentration of bad apples. Just sayin'!

Also, I know that I , as a parent (of twins) check their equipment on a fairly regular basis. I check it along with them and after they've checked it themselves. I've been in too many situations (not just softball) where the best laid plans went awry due to someone's neglected or faulty equipment. Plus, for the most part I'm the guy paying for it so if it's a warranty issue or a simple repair that will extend it's life and save me some cash...you bet!

May 29, 2015
Undoubtedly there are bad apples ... but if you have a bunch, I think that really comes down to the training and culture in an area, not necessarily the individual umpires. I am in a “central” location, so I work regularly with guys and gals from five or six different areas. I can tell where an umpire is from just by the things they do (or don’t do) and say (or don’t say).

There is one particular area where they just seem to be completely off the rails ... and their umpires are very easy to pick out.

I applaud you for taking the time to do that and especially for teaching your kids! As an umpire, I love it when the player can show me right where the NOCSAE or USA/USSSA stamp is at. (They aren’t always easy to find!)

It is amazing how many helmets could be saved if somebody would just tighten the screws every now and then.

Dec 11, 2010

I like sarcasm. A lot, lol!

And hey, I feel ‘ya. But I don’t feel sorry for you. Been there, did that, got the tee shirt to prove it.

You are in a position of authority. People will criticize you constantly, most of the time for no reason. We live in a culture of non-compliance. So if being criticized makes you uncomfortable, you better figure out why. The only thought you should EVER give criticism is to briefly and honestly ask yourself “is the criticism warranted?” Most of the time you will be right. Sometimes you will be wrong and you better figure out how to make it right. Let me know when you find that in the rule book.

My Brother, when dd strikes out, it’s because we didn’t correctly prepare in the days, weeks, years before the at bat. In my mind, that’s on me. I seriously think back to our last session of front toss and wonder if I threw too hard, too soft or threw her too many strikes. My youngest is 16. She has literally been preparing for every at bat since she was nine years old. She is a pretty good player. Sometimes players fail.... and it’s no big deal and it certainly isn’t Blue’s fault. Blue’s strike zone might suck, but it is the players job to deal with it. And not get out.

To answer your questions: I’m not currently coaching. I am a complete gear geek however. I like it. I do pretty much constantly check it.

Funny story, at least I think it is. Dd is currently swinging a “borrowed from a buddy” bat. It started out that she was going to swing it in practice until we decided if the size would work for her. She liked it. It was cracked. I knew it was cracked. Put my readers on. Cracked, I thought. It will never pass inspection. The line was the right length, in the right place going the right direction. But it wasn’t toooooo bad. She swung it in an ASA Gold qualifier last weekend. She hit well. So we decided we would keep it as a practice bat. I was going to put a new grip on it because, after all, even a practice bat has to look good, right?

So before I re-gripped it, I gave it the traditional scrubbing with SoftSoap. Because I’m a gear guy, right? Guess what? The bat was healed! The crack was miraculously healed by scrubbing it. But had one umpire looked at it, it would have been so gone so fast you couldn’t even see tail lights.

Inspect gear. I encourage you to. But know the equipment. Have a real reason to throw equipment out. Use your common sense. And lighten up. You aren’t the last line of defense between the children and the Zombie Apocalypse, lol.

Again, you DO remember when ASA umps thought a tightened chin strap was the ONLY thing preventing decapitations and disfiguring facial injuries, right? The precious rule book spelled that out too.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12