Release and Spin Gifs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Been working change with DD. She originally pitched a CU with a 9-3 but never perfected it. More straight arm thru back of circle with straighter wrist. Her current CU looks more like this one and she is still trying to pull wrist around to the front but releasing with more bullet spin. IMO the 9-3 is a better pitch but I cannot seem to get her back there. The cue before was rotate hand and push ball out of backside with thumb to the catcher. Current pitch has been more consistent. Speed from drop goes from 58 to 45 ish so seems alright. Just selling the pitch is the thing.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Been working change with DD. She originally pitched a CU with a 9-3 but never perfected it. More straight arm thru back of circle with straighter wrist. Her current CU looks more like this one and she is still trying to pull wrist around to the front but releasing with more bullet spin. IMO the 9-3 is a better pitch but I cannot seem to get her back there. The cue before was rotate hand and push ball out of backside with thumb to the catcher. Current pitch has been more consistent. Speed from drop goes from 58 to 45 ish so seems alright. Just selling the pitch is the thing.
A spiral is a great way to start (or stay) and is the easiest way to take speed of while still selling the pitch and using a drop/FB grip.

While 9-3 is a great change, consider turning the spiral/horseshoe/circle into a drop change by letting the ball come off the pinky/ring fingers last.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, my first glance made me think "that's not a flip change".

I certainly defer to Ken’s expertise, I was thinking flip because her fingers are down with the back of the hand facing the catcher at release:

328bc85dce7179d160b9afb9ca4a45cc.gif

And her finish has her hand up high by the throwing shoulder with her palm facing the catcher:

aff0559e0b1866657c63e0f3994d04e3.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
I've been eyeing my DD's hand over the last few weeks as she releases her flip. She keeps her hand in a palm down release for her flip. Almost like she showing someone a ring on her right hand. She was gunned yesterday 16 times and her change up speed was 41 14 times and 40 2 times. She's very consistent. She told me she can get it to slow down more if she speeds up her motion.
I am trying to get a video in slow motion from the catcher's point of view.
Here is a video from last year (back view).

Oct 4, 2018
I certainly defer to Ken’s expertise, I was thinking flip because her fingers are down with the back of the hand facing the catcher at release:

328bc85dce7179d160b9afb9ca4a45cc.gif

And her finish has her hand up high by the throwing shoulder with her palm facing the catcher:

aff0559e0b1866657c63e0f3994d04e3.gif

Fine point. The end looks like a flip. The beginning didn't. (to me). But what do I know?

Sep 15, 2015
She was gunned yesterday 16 times and her change up speed was 41 14 times and 40 2 times. She's very consistent.

Has she always thrown her change that speed relative to other pitches? My DD is a low 60s primarily riseball pitcher with a decent change, but the change is very much a pitch-to-contact pitch—not so much a swing-and-miss pitch except for very aggressive hitters. Hers is consistently 46/47 and she’s been wondering recently if it would be better a little slower, like around 40. She throws it with the horseshoe grip and arm flexion finish but with a slight turn of the hand down (princess handshake) to try to generate down spin. Sort of a slow drop.

Jan 22, 2017
A spiral is a great way to start (or stay) and is the easiest way to take speed of while still selling the pitch and using a drop/FB grip.

While 9-3 is a great change, consider turning the spiral/horseshoe/circle into a drop change by letting the ball come off the pinky/ring fingers last.

To add to Ken's ring finger/pinky comment. If you hold the ball like a three finger grip 4-seam FB, with the horse shoe opening facing to the right, your pinky actually can lay behind the seam creating more downward movement

Apr 28, 2014
Has she always thrown her change that speed relative to other pitches? My DD is a low 60s primarily riseball pitcher with a decent change, but the change is very much a pitch-to-contact pitch—not so much a swing-and-miss pitch except for very aggressive hitters. Hers is consistently 46/47 and she’s been wondering recently if it would be better a little slower, like around 40. She throws it with the horseshoe grip and arm flexion finish but with a slight turn of the hand down (princess handshake) to try to generate down spin. Sort of a slow drop.

Shes worked to maintain that 40mph goal. Her rise is steady around 61-62. When she was younger her change was faster and she got lit up. 40 seems to be the sweet spot for her. Shes also working on a 3rd pitch a little slower but 40mph is where she works with her change up. I'll PM you a clip from summer where she used her chang a ton versus a very good team. I think she threw 85% change ups. Crazy

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

any chance getting this pitch shown full speed? I think alot of things change when you actually throw it full speed. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23