Release and Spin Gifs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Curious about if hitters can really see the spin in realtime and react/adjust accordingly. I know my eyes aren't great, but I can't see any spin details when watching pitchers up close and in person. Everything looks easy and clear in super slow motion, but are hitters really seeing the spin of a 60+mph pitch? Are they seeing arm/hand position at release? Or are they anticipating based on count, pitcher tendency, etc.?

I look for a dot when catching dd. Not sure how one is suppose to read direction of spin, especially if it's good spin rate at 60+. I though FFS had a better idea with tracking the trajectory.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Yes, absolutely. they say the difference between a AAA hitter and a MLB hitter is their eyes.

IMO the biggest difference between AAA and MLB players is raw hitting mechanics. Some mechanics changes can completely change how early you have to commit to the swing, and a later commitment allows them to see the ball longer.

Jun 18, 2010
barnhill_rise_tamu_zpsjxffskyp.gif

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The amount of mythology is amazing. The announcer are driving me crazy.

Every inside pitch is a screwball and every outside pitch is a curve...and when they do super slow motion, every pitch simply has corkscrew spin.

Jun 28, 2016
The amount of mythology is amazing. The announcer are driving me crazy.

Every inside pitch is a screwball and every outside pitch is a curve...and when they do super slow motion, every pitch simply has corkscrew spin.
I agree!!! And I keep rewinding and rewatching to see the break and different spins but I see nothing different than a corkscrew.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802