Relax...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Probably headed for some heat for this one but parents relax! Was at a showcase this weekend and while walking by a game during our break I witnessed 2 parents (husband and wife I assume) arguing that he didn't press record and they missed video for their DDs game. I look at the back stop and it looks like the podium at the UN world conference with 87 go pros pinned to the fence. Someone must have video..
This had me thinking as I was reviewing DDs twitter this morning(gotta oversee socials) and see PSAs tweeting their game video to 20-30 schools. Some of these schools are arch rivals.. wth? I never see them tweet the homer they give up or the Ks.. only the bombs.
I get it, with Covid and coaches not able to come out you want/need to stream games. But is it really necessary to put coaches on blast on Twitter every week? Girls at the gym posted on twitter... girls at BP posted on Twitter. Pitching lessons posted on Twitter. Really? Sometimes its better to not see the chef prepare the meal.
A good friend called me second week of September sad that his 2022 DD (who will go D1 IMO) didn't get any calls on the first. They were convinced that they would get calls because a few schools "consistently like" her Twitter posts. Liking posts does not usually equate to interest or offers. Can it? Sure... does it? Not necessary and remember there is no substitute for a personal email to a coach sharing game film. Share the whole game not just your one or two good plays. Highlight them but send your failures, misteps and errors. In that regard you are humanizing yourself. Coaches want to see you after you strike out.. or give up a grand slam.. how can they see that if you don't show them.
And parents relax, if your DD is good enough to play in college she will play in college.. One game missing video clips won't preclude her from reaching her dreams.

Nov 5, 2014
They were convinced that they would get calls because a few schools "consistently like" her Twitter posts.
I saw the exact same scenario play out with many other 2022's and can add from a personal perspective that my 2022 DD's September 1 calls had little to no correlation with her Twitter follows/likes.

IMO Twitter can be a useful tool but too many parents/athletes think it alone will get them recruited and therefore rely primarily or solely on it for their recruiting efforts (and many really overdo it seeming to post every time their DD picks up a bat or lifts a weight).

The truth is we are in completely uncharted territory with respect to recruiting. In addition to the NCAA dead period that precludes D1 coaches from any in person contact including at tournaments or camps we also are dealing with an extra year of eligibility granted to ALL currently rostered players, uncertain outlook for athletic budgets going forward, and uncertainty to any impact on the 2021 season. Given all of this uncertainty it would be highly unlikely that all or even most coaches will respond similarly and adjust their recruiting efforts in the same manner. So IMO PSA's should be using a diversified all of the above approach Social Media, Emails, send highlights, workouts, and links to full games. Let coaches choose what they want to see from your menu but don't overdo it, you don't need to send every workout and every hit.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
DD’s coach does not allow the players on the team to tag coaches in any videos posted on twitter. DD sends texts or emails to the coaches she has been in contact with that include the links to the clipped videos from AGL.

I also see different sets of coaches tagged in every new tweet from the same PSA or coaches from programs way beyond the player’s talent level. Some of these kids play in states these coaches have never stepped foot in for recruiting or for organizations that play only locally. Big fish small pond mentality. If you’re that good get out of your bubble and stop dominating against the same teams every weekend an hour from your house. But that’s a topic for another thread I suppose...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD’s coach does not allow the players on the team to tag coaches in any videos posted on twitter. DD sends texts or emails to the coaches she has been in contact with that include the links to the clipped videos from AGL.

I also see different sets of coaches tagged in every new tweet from the same PSA or coaches from programs way beyond the player’s talent level. Some of these kids play in states these coaches have never stepped foot in for recruiting or for organizations that play only locally. Big fish small pond mentality. If you’re that good get out of your bubble and stop dominating against the same teams every weekend an hour from your house. But that’s a topic for another thread I suppose...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wait! What? The Hittin' Kittens are in your area too?

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018

Hal Trosky (baseball scout) at about the 6 minute mark speaks about what they look for and the reasons kids play baseball. The whole speech is great as a motivator.

Aug 24, 2018
I look at the back stop and it looks like the podium at the UN world conference with 87 go pros pinned to the fence
DD is still in 14u and I am typically the only one filming the game. I was recently at an 18u tournament and couldn't believe how many cameras and cell phones were attached to the backstop. Game was a 17-0 run rule where the winning team was stepping off the bases 3 times just to get through the game. I wondered how many coaches were watching that live stream, but it makes a lot more sense that highlight reels would be made from it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802