Relationships

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I fear a similar situation for my dd even though she is in 7th grade at the moment. The high school that she will be attending has a "14u travel team" my dd doesn't play for that travel team. The coach of the 14u team is .....you guessed it.....the high school coach.

In some states, that is against the rules. Check it out for your state.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
Sorry Sluggers.....either you misread my post or you made an assumption and ran with it. My family made a decision to put dd on a team that we thought was better for us. It really had nothing to do with anything or anybody but US. I think its a pretty normal concern that a coach may take our decision personally. That doesn't mean that I do not like that he coaches a travel team.... geez.

An adult goes out of his/her way to provide an opportunity for kids to play softball, and then someone doesn't like it.

An adult goes out of his/her way to provide an opportunity for kids to play softball, and then someone doesn't like it.
Sorry Sluggers.....either you misread my post or you made an assumption and ran with it. My family made a decision to put dd on a team that we thought was better for us. It really had nothing to do with anything or anybody but US. I think its a pretty normal concern that a coach may take our decision personally. That doesn't mean that I do not like that he coaches a travel team.... geez.
There is a reason doing this is against the rules in some states. In fact, there are several reasons. If it was always about someone with a good heart just trying to give kids a chance to play softball, there wouldn't be rules against it.

If a high school coach wants to just give girls a chance to play, coach 10U or perhaps a rec team. Or, coach 14U if you want but don't take any girls who go to or will feed your high school. Then I will believe your motives to be righteous.

Last edited:

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
Exactly, LAS! Thanks for your input. Where would I look up and find information on this rule?

There is a reason doing this is against the rules in some states. In fact, there are several reasons. If it was always about someone with a good heart just trying to give kids a chance to play softball, there wouldn't be rules against it.

If a high school coach wants to just give girls a chance to play, coach 10U or perhaps a rec team. Or, coach 14U if you want but don't take any girls who go to or will feed your high school. Then I will believe your motives to be righteous.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is a reason doing this is against the rules in some states.

I've never heard of such a rule in any state.

Can you give me a specific example of one state where there is a rule against a HS coach coaching a summer softball team?

Last edited:
I don't think such a rule exists for *SOFTBALL*.

Can you give me a specific example of one state where there is a rule against a HS coach coaching a summer softball team?

I only travel the West Coast but one of the five states I recruit (Washington) does not allow a high school coach to have any coaching contact with a girl who attends or will attend his/her high school once that player has reached the age of 13.

Essentially, you can coach, but only 12U and below if you have girls who will attend your high school or 14U and above if you don't.

I hear there are other states with this rule, as well.

EDIT: I am paraphrasing the rule and may not have it exactly right but it is something to that effect. I have no experience with Washington high school ball, I just go up and recruit a few TB players there every once in a great while.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Most of the top travel coaches I know also coach HS teams. I’ve found them all to be highly ethical and it doesn’t matter if it’s the HS coaches travel team or someone else’s. What earns them more playing time is the extra work, not their summer team. That won’t stop the favoritism or “pay to play” rumors, but I’ve seldom seen grounds for those complaints.

There’s often restrictions during the school year, but I don’t know of any states where a HS coach can’t coach a summer team.

The main reason for the rule is so high school teams don't practice together outside the high school season.

Secondary reasons are the undue influence that players might feel they are under to play for a certain travel team so they have a better chance at making their high school team, the conflict of interest that could creep into the situation when it comes time to make cuts during the high school tryouts and the amount of PT a player gets who does/does not play for the travel team. There is also the problem of girls' families paying their high school coach to coach their DDs.

I am the last person who wants more rules and regulations, but this seems reasonable and, for lack of a better word, prudent when it comes to this situation. I wish it was that way in all states.

Last edited:
Most of the top travel coaches I know also coach HS teams. I’ve found them all to be highly ethical and it doesn’t matter if it’s the HS coaches travel team or someone else’s. What earns them more playing time is the extra work, not their summer team. That won’t stop the favoritism or “pay to play” rumors, but I’ve seldom seen grounds for those complaints.

There’s often restrictions during the school year, but I don’t know of any states where a HS coach can’t coach a summer team.

There isn't a restriction on a high school coach coaching a summer team. Just a restriction on high school coaches coaching their high school girls on a summer team.

Exactly, LAS! Thanks for your input. Where would I look up and find information on this rule?

Your state's high school sports governing body should be able to help. Again, I only know of one state but I only travel the West Coast. I have heard there are more but could not tell you if this is true or which states those might be.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28