Relationships

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
So, you would tell your daughter to work her tail off and just sit the bench? Would you keep your daughter on a club team with daddy ball? We're going to let her make the decision and see how it goes. She needs to figure out what is more important to her.

TB players are free to choose the team that suits them best. If your DD is not happy with her HS team she does not have to play, but I would not advocate changing schools for softball - it is just not that important and has little to no influence on recruiting.

Sep 29, 2014
If your daughter plays on a high school team where there is a ton of talent (your daughter is included in that talent) and quite a few of the girls have taken lessons from the HS coach at some point, do you think that will effect (or is it affect?) his decision on who plays on Varsity?

If your daughter is frustrated and doesn't think she'll even make Varsity as a Junior and when she does get on Varsity she'll probably sit the bench, would you allow her to change schools? (Yes, we could change schools and she would be allowed to play next year) Her frustrations comes from not being able to play competitively. I'm sure some of you will think that we think she's a better player than she is, but we aren't those type of parents...I'm sure you're thinking..Sure you're not. :p Her stats speak for themselves and she has a couple D1 colleges looking at her. How much do relationships with the coach, play a part in his selection?

Part of me thinks, it's just high school ball and to let it go, but another part of me is also frustrated. Maybe this will teach my daughter to work harder, but what if she works her tail off and it doesn't make a difference. Maybe my daughter doesn't work hard at practice..Of course, she says she does, but who knows. Will college coaches care that she played JV for three years?

Let me know if I'm thinking about this all wrong? is this a good experience for our daughter and she'll learn some great life lesson? Has anyone experienced something like this?

So you are telling me that your D1 prospect DD will not make varsity as a junior. I am sure it's possible but I am not buying it just yet. So she is on a 16U travel team playing showcases, going to camp and has received interest but there are nine other girls out there that she is basically not head and shoulders better than that play at your high school. Now if you are in Fla, TX or Cal going to a HS with 2,000+ kids maybe I start seeing your side.

If she likes the school and it is academically sound and she has good friends it would be hard to move for HS softball, she could get hurt during practice and be out for 8 weeks miss the season then you have done what? moved for nothing. Just have her keep working hard...it is really hard for coaches to not bring up someone that is going to help them win. if she really is a D1 prospect her college coach is not going to worry about her HS career some kids don't even play HS softball...would it be the end of the world if she was the JV captain next year, again I am assuming like you said that these varsity girls are all really good players and not just sticking it up out there.

Last edited:
I've talked to several past players who have played for this coach. They all say the same thing, he plays his favorites. A couple players I've talked to have quit playing HS ball out of frustration.
All coaches play their favorites. There can be vast differences in what each uses to determine who his/her favorites are, however.

I think there is a very good possibility that this coach could be playing girls who take lessons from him. It really isn't difficult to determine: just do the math by comparing who gets PT to who sees him for lessons. If they are one in the same ....... bingo.

This is a conflict of interest and should be brought up to the AD. By doing so, you pretty much guarantee your DD will never play, though.

Catch 22.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
So you are telling me that your D1 prospect DD will not make varsity as a junior. I am sure it's possible but I am not buying it just yet. So she is on a 16U travel team playing showcases, going to camp and has received interest but there are nine other girls out there that she is basically not head and shoulders better than that play at your high school. Now if you are in Fla, TX or Cal going to a HS with 2,000+ kids maybe I start seeing your side.

If she likes the school and it is academically sound and she has good friends it would be hard to move for HS softball, she could get hurt during practice and be out for 8 weeks miss the season then you have done what? moved for nothing. Just have her keep working hard...it is really hard for coaches to not bring up someone that is going to help them win. if she really is a D1 prospect her college coach is not going to worry about her HS career some kids don't even play HS softball...would it be the end of the world if she was the JV captain next year, again I am assuming like you said that these varsity girls are all really good players and not just sticking it up out there.

I would like to add that there are some really bad D1 programs out there, so do not assume that just because a player is receiving interest from a D1 coach that she is a STUD. I would also suggest GA for your list of possible states with a D1 prospect who may not play as a junior (along with FL, TX and CA).

Sep 29, 2014
[MENTION=5663]JAD[/MENTION]...agreed about the bad D1 schools, some are not top level programs. I just used the three states because I know about them plus school size in some instances are ridiculous, I'm from Texas and we graduated over 600 seniors (many years ago) and that is now considered small there are over 3500 students at my old HS now, so you are asking yourself out of a random pool of 1800 girls is it possible there are 10 that play softball better than my DD...maybe

Mar 13, 2016
Kansas City

Her school has close to 3,500 kids. It's a little city. We have talked it over with her and she's considering it, but I'm not sure she'll actually do it. She's right in there with the rest of the girls as far as skills go. Yes, she's on a 16U team, goes to camps and plays in showcases.

Last edited:

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
I fear a similar situation for my dd even though she is in 7th grade at the moment. The high school that she will be attending has a "14u travel team" my dd doesn't play for that travel team. The coach of the 14u team is .....you guessed it.....the high school coach.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The high school that she will be attending has a "14u travel team" my dd doesn't play for that travel team. The coach of the 14u team is .....you guessed it.....the high school coach.

An adult goes out of his/her way to provide an opportunity for kids to play softball, and then someone doesn't like it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802