Relationship between grip strength and spin/speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
I’m looking for input on things others have done to increase grip strength, and wrist/forearm strength and the benefits gain in pitching.
Does anyone have a weekly program they have used?

hand grippers
Finger grippers
Roll-ups

etc

thanks in advance for your input

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Haven't ever made it very formal and emphasized it more during the "semi" off season periods but yes we've specifically focused on grip and wrist/forearm strength. Both DD's (pitcher and catcher) use different tension hand grippers (several are kept around the house and in the car), weighted roll ups, regular and reverse curls and pull ups. This last year we've started doing the roll ups while on a balance board (Revolution Fit/Indo Board).

Jan 28, 2017
Bucket of rice and work and down in it and squeeze. Different than strength but I saw somewhere that playing the guitar and piano can really help with spins. DD has the smallest hands in the world but can spin the ball pretty good. She played the piano at a very young age. I have always thought playing the piano really helped her. Really have no clue but

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
DD is an ex-RH Pitcher, and although never much of a flame thrower, always had very high revs (30 rise, 18 drop)

Did her first "combine" type event last spring, where as part of the performance measurements, they did "grip strength".

Her numbers were 82 right hand and 62 left hand.
(She said they tested her right hand multiple times because they though it was weird there was such a large difference)
I have no idea what the unit of measurement is? But that's a 33% increase for the pitching hand.
I'd say that is significant?

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
+1 on the bucket of rice.
There are some different "drills" they can do with the rice, but the easiest way to get started is to tell them to try and get to the bottom of the bucket.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I’m looking for input on things others have done to increase grip strength, and wrist/forearm strength and the benefits gain in pitching.
Does anyone have a weekly program they have used?

hand grippers
Finger grippers
Roll-ups

etc

thanks in advance for your input

What is the outcome you're looking for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood