Regressing with practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Unless you are confident that you can see and correct any mechanical issues yourself in the off weeks from lessons, I would take her weekly or no less than every other week. My DD (15) is a Tincher student and we go weekly in the off season and as often as we can when she’s in season in the spring, summer, and fall.

I also catch her lessons so I’m trying to catch and watch her form at the same time. She does drills into a tarp that I video on Coach’s Eye and we review together and I let her tell me what’s right and what needs adjustments. I will send video to her instructor for feedback as well in between lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2018
It sounds like you might be brewing a recipe for poor results. If you're only going to lessons once a month but throwing five days a week, there's a very high chance that your daughter may be developing bad habits and reinforcing them through so much repetition without getting any feedback.

Also, DD has been working with a Tincher instructor for almost three years. She still has practice sessions or lessons where things don't go right. It happens, some days they just don't 'have it.'

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I may be mistaken here as I took my daughter to a Tincher coach for a short period of time prior to moving on but I do not believe Tincher coaches teach brush.

Rick Pauly is the champion of brush interference. He is 100% correct...without brush interference, a kid will not have consistent, inning-by-inning control. I've seen it at random games, and I've seen very promising HS pitchers wash out because of the lack of it.

The symptom of no brush interference is "streakiness". One inning, she will be able to effortlessly throw strikes. The next, she "can't hit water if she fell out of a boat."

Brush fire is the part of brush interference where the arm contacts the side of the body. The contact between the arm and the body starts the release phase of the pitch. This gives the pitcher a very specific and consistent place to start the release phase--somewhere around 8.

Without good brush interference, the pitcher has no specific feedback as to the location of the arm. She
has to rely on her own internal clock to determine when to start the release phase.

When a no-brush interference pitcher gets her internal clock slight off, she starts missing. She then starts trying to compensate by speeding up or slowing down her arm, and then she is doomed.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
I may be mistaken here as I took my daughter to a Tincher coach for a short period of time prior to moving on but I do not believe Tincher coaches teach brush.
Yeah, I don't want to misrepresent anyone. But I'm pretty sure our coach doesn't. If I recall, she talks about the arm sort of going around the hip.

Oct 4, 2018
Interesting point because I don't recall it coming up in coaching sessions. I am very hesitant to misrepresent her coach, but I'm not sure she teaches that, or at least emphasize it.

Tincher doesn't call it that. They refer to an arm slot, and that arm slot does have the arm brushing the torso.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101