Regressing with practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
My 12yo DD has been working with a Tincher coach we like a lot for 10 months. DD takes practice very seriously, but her performance almost seems random. She will literally throw 13 K shutouts, then throw nothing up uncatchable wild pitches...for several weeks.

It doesn't seem like her practice is building upon anything, and actually might be reinforcing bad habits and making her worse.

Has any one experienced this? Do you have any suggestions to fix it?

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Pitching always seems to be 2 steps forward, 1 step backward. If DD is 12, she probably learned differently than Tincher style, which makes pitching adjustments even more difficult. If you are with a Tincher coach, you are on the right course and you'll see more 13k shoutouts than 13 wild pitch games in your future. Keep the faith as you keep practicing.

Apr 8, 2019
Pitching always seems to be 2 steps forward, 1 step backward. If DD is 12, she probably learned differently than Tincher style, which makes pitching adjustments even more difficult. If you are with a Tincher coach, you are on the right course and you'll see more 13k shoutouts than 13 wild pitch games in your future. Keep the faith as you keep practicing.
Thanks. Is there a general guideline of how often we should see her coach? I think her coach doesn't want to seem like she's taking advantage, and just agrees with whatever I suggest. Currenty, we go every 3-4 weeks.

Oct 4, 2018
I'd go more often than once per month. Perhaps every other week.

Heck, we go weekly to our Tincher lessons. But my DD is 10. It does feel like some lessons are just "more of the same" but I do understand that progression now will come at baby steps. And even if a lesson is just more of the same, it's certainly reinforcing the right mechanics and tweaking the wrong ones.

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah. I almost appreciate the horrible practice sessions every now and then. I love to say "Good, we got that out of your system". Sometimes the best tournaments are two days after a rough outing in the backyard.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
There is usually a mechanical change or issue that causes a seriously bad performance. It's rarely mental. It's usually mechanical which then becomes emotional and mental (domino effect). I always suggest shooting some video when things are going bad. It really helps in finding the answer.