Regionalism

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2020
There seems to be a significant difference in the level of softball played Region to region in the country. Is this just my perception or is this true. Seems like the best teams are Pacific Coast or Southern. Could it be these teams get more exposure due to longer seasons? I would like to hear your take on it. I visited some family members in the Midwest and the softball there doesn't look the same as in the South.

Apr 26, 2019
I am a kfa but I would think, yes, the warmer weather plays a part. If you can be outdoors practicing into November or December, it can't hurt.

I would also suppose different regions like different sports more so there is an emphasis on them. Those are the ones kids want to play.

Where I grew up nobody, and I mean nobody, played lacrosse. Where I live now, it is very popular and has been for a long time. A guy older than me says is was huge when he was young. Some regions like hockey, some football, some basketball.

May 6, 2015
Definitely some regionalism to it, definitely weather related to some degree.

just like you dont see a lot of NHL players from deep south, they are predominantly from areas where dad can create a small backyard ice rink a few months a year, and they learn to skate before kinderegarten.

that being said, I think there are truly great teams in all regions, but just fewer of them from northern areas, because it costs more to get that good, you have to be indoor training from an early age to develop to that level, and the price of it in northeren areas (ie indoor practice facilities) simply prices some out. so some girls gravitate towards other sports that can stay outdoors a little longer.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I visited some family members in the Midwest and the softball there doesn't look the same as in the South.

There's a certain regionalism to any sport or activity.

I would caution, though, that to make that statement based on games you've watched while visiting family members wouldn't be that meaningful, IMO. You can't easily know how what you were watching compared to what all is out there in a region.

But as for the Midwest, back in 2005, Michigan won the national title. About half their players were from Michigan or the midwest. That suggests to me a couple of things - There are some good teams and players in the Midwest, but there aren't so many that you can win a national title just recruiting in your region. That's probably still the case unless you really dominate recruiting in the Midwest. Teams in the sunbelt don't have to branch out as much to built national contenders, especially California/Arizona.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I think one of the reasons for So Cal being a "Hot Bed" of good teams/players is the fact of the population being 10 million + in just LA and Orange counties. Combine that with weather that allows year round play and poof lots of great players.

Tradition also a factor, IMO. The WCWS started around 1982, and I believe that California and Arizona teams won it every year until Oklahoma broke through in 2000. UCLA was very dominant. The SEC didn't sanction the sport until around 1997. Those influences are less and less important as time passes, but still a factor.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Glad to see softball has grown!

I forgot to give Texas A&M their due. They won a few pre-2000. Michigan in 2005 was the first team east of the Mississippi to win the WCWS. Alabama was the first SEC team to win in 2012. Watching these college teams on ESPN has been huge in promoting the sport and driving signups to rec leagues. State of Alabama is a travel ball hot bed (per capita) because of Alabama's success (and also Auburn and even South Alabama).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
There seems to be a significant difference in the level of softball played Region to region in the country. Is this just my perception or is this true. Seems like the best teams are Pacific Coast or Southern. Could it be these teams get more exposure due to longer seasons? I would like to hear your take on it. I visited some family members in the Midwest and the softball there doesn't look the same as in the South.

Yes, there are major differences across the country for a huge variety of reasons. What is good though is that the level of play across the country is much higher than it has ever been and great level teams can come from almost anywhere.

Yes, warm weather areas have it easier because it can be and is year round; but there are also massively strong teams coming out of every area of the country.

Years ago it was California and then everyone else. That has changed for the better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802