Reflections on First Varsity/HS Season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
So, sadly, we were eliminated last night, just missing the Elite 8 who were going to the State Tournament next week. Heartbreaking game where we were down 6-0 at the end of our first inning, fought our way back to tie it up, and then a girl on the other team hit a 2-run HR that we couldn't answer for at the bottom of the seventh.

Quick reflections on DD's first year on Varsity:

1. We were lucky to have good, level-headed coaches who generally seemed to respect each girl, knowing that the majority play on high-level TB teams, but also who challenged them by moving girls out of their comfort zone into other positions when needed.

2. Even though DD was on par with the other catcher, she is a junior and got most of the playing time. That is OK and we understand it. Wish DD had caught more, but she was in probably 90% of all the games and was the DP when not catching.

3. DD was nervous that the upperclassmen would be annoyed by freshmen getting playing time (she and one other got a lot and the three others got much less), but they were super welcoming and great mentors. For those in the know, the seniors picked the walk-up music for the freshmen as light-hearted "hazing." My DD's song was "Hot Cheetohs & Takis." LOL.

4. I felt very sorry for the 3 or 4 girls who pretty much never played. Only when we were up by a million runs. That is a lot of time to commit to sit the bench. And one of those girls' mothers took about 10,000,000 pictures of the team and was so sweet to do collages and things and send them to us. I regret to say that I would probably not be so selfless in the same situation.

Overall, a great season and a great learning experience for DD and us. I think we are very lucky. Now, what to do after we lose our two pitchers in two years and we seem to have no one coming up the pipeline to replace them? Yikes!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018
PNW
4. I felt very sorry for the 3 or 4 girls who pretty much never played. Only when we were up by a million runs. That is a lot of time to commit to sit the bench. And one of those girls' mothers took about 10,000,000 pictures of the team and was so sweet to do collages and things and send them to us. I regret to say that I would probably not be so selfless in the same situation.

Some parents also recognize the talent or the talent disparity...there's also those that are thrilled for their daughter to continue playing in some capacity and being a part of a team and they recognize the many lessons and experiences that come from team sports...especially when it sounds like you have a solid HC.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
What a nice post/thread. I wanted to make a comment about your comment about seniors. I know that your dd appreciated them. I can remember as if it were happening now the day my daughter came home from a high school practice and rushed into the house to change clothes because the seniors were going to take her to a burger joint in another town. It was an honor to get invited and she was the only freshman to start varsity. Those seniors were so good to her! Someday, your dd will get a chance to return the favor.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
What a nice post/thread. I wanted to make a comment about your comment about seniors. I know that your dd appreciated them. I can remember as if it were happening now the day my daughter came home from a high school practice and rushed into the house to change clothes because the seniors were going to take her to a burger joint in another town. It was an honor to get invited and she was the only freshman to start varsity. Those seniors were so good to her! Someday, your dd will get a chance to return the favor.

I have a lot more respect for HS coaches. This pitching situation, for example. We have two pitchers and one declared after the last game that she is quitting softball altogether. Panic mode! But then one of the Dads told us that she said that last year too. But, with HS, you get what you get and if you have no pitchers, I guess you're converting someone who may be unwilling into a pitcher. Oh boy. Wonder what will happen.

Oct 4, 2018
I have a lot more respect for HS coaches. This pitching situation, for example. We have two pitchers and one declared after the last game that she is quitting softball altogether. Panic mode! But then one of the Dads told us that she said that last year too. But, with HS, you get what you get and if you have no pitchers, I guess you're converting someone who may be unwilling into a pitcher. Oh boy. Wonder what will happen.

Please keep up informed of your daughter's pitching progress. ;)

Apr 26, 2015
Great thread! Happy for your kiddo - sounds like she had a great season!

DD just finished her Freshman softball season as well. She definitely had some ups and downs (that I've discussed in other threads Lol) but for the most part she had a positive experience. She was the only Freshman on Varsity with 5 seniors and 5 juniors. She batted in the 2 hole all season and played LF about 60% of the time. She used to be primarily a catcher as well, so she did spend some time as a bull pen catcher for varsity but never caught a game (which is fine with us :)) For whatever reason the coach (crazy as she was) really liked DD. She only had one freak out moment on her and after that did nothing but encourage her along. (I won't say it was the same for other girls on the team...which makes me sad.) The juniors and seniors were nothing but wonderful to my daughter as well. They cheered her on and made her one of the team without question. They would fight over who got to be her "big sister" and always checked up on her in school as well. She wound up with the 2nd highest batting average on the team, the 2nd most stolen bases and a trip to the State Championships (finishing just short of the final four). All in all...a good season! But it went by way too fast!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2015
Our DD's first year of varsity as well, one of two freshmen who made the team. Was typically the #2 pitcher behind an upperclassman and mainly came in as relief, but started a handful of games. She was also the starting DP for the second half of the season. She more than held her own in the lineup. However, there were some definite "learning moments" both in the circle and at the plate. For the most part, the upperclassmen were good with her. They had a pretty tight clique though. She's friends with the class behind her as they played middle school together, so she's already looking forward to next fall. The season goes by so much faster than travel ball, and school ball is treated so differently than what we were accustomed to. We had as much of a learning curve as she did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478