Recruitment questions. When to tell coaches you are committed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2018
My daughter is a 2021. She verbally committed to a D3. I know that means nothing official. We are just waiting on her SAT scores and for her to officially apply to the school. She is getting a few coaches that she was previously talking to emailing asking for her summer schedule. Do we still send them her summer schedule? One of these schools in particular would be her solid second choice. At what point should we say we are committed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My daughter is a 2021. She verbally committed to a D3. I know that means nothing official. We are just waiting on her SAT scores and for her to officially apply to the school. She is getting a few coaches that she was previously talking to emailing asking for her summer schedule. Do we still send them her summer schedule? One of these schools in particular would be her solid second choice. At what point should we say we are committed?

When you are 100%+ that your DD is going to the school and there is nothing stopping that happening.

If it is a high academic D3 it may not be the coaches' decision - the final decision may lie in the admissions office and they may or may not take athletics into consideration depending on the school. If you are not 100% sure you are going to get through admissions, you are not really committed. Some coaches have influence - some don't. The other consideration is $$$. - depending on college and cost, if you are not sure you can afford the school until you see a financial aid package, you are not committed.

If there is even a 1% chance she doesn't get in or go to the school, continue to be open to recruiting her list of options.

That isn't to say you shouldn't be honest. You can and should tell other coaches that you have a #1 that you have to wait for admissions for before making a final decision - believe me, they will understand. My DD had to wait until she had an admissions acceptance in her hand in December of her senior year before she was willing to say she was committed to her college - the softball part of going to the school was over entering her junior year the previous summer. That was almost 18 months. There were several D3, D1 and NAIA schools who were genuinely happy for her when she got her #1 choice but were also hovering around just in case she didn't.

If it isn't a high academics, and coach can guarantee admissions, and your DD is going, then you are done. Celebrate!

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2015
hurts nothing at this point to keep interested parties informed as to her schedule. Especially, if her first choice is a D3 school. Lots of variables still out there that could change her mind. some softball related, some not. As a point of interest, D3 schools never have a binding letter of intent like D1 does.

Just as an example, say choice number 2 comes forward with a huge academic package and it equates to almost free attendance.... are they now #1 choice?

Jun 27, 2018
I was thinking that. I told her to send her schedule to the other three schools she is considering. I hope we have a summer schedule that actually happens. I also hope everyone is staying healthy.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When you are 100%+ that your DD is going to the school and there is nothing stopping that happening.

If it is a high academic D3 it may not be the coaches' decision - the final decision may lie in the admissions office and they may or may not take athletics into consideration depending on the school. If you are not 100% sure you are going to get through admissions, you are not really committed. Some coaches have influence - some don't. The other consideration is $$$. - depending on college and cost, if you are not sure you can afford the school until you see a financial aid package, you are not committed.

If there is even a 1% chance she doesn't get in or go to the school, continue to be open to recruiting her list of options.

That isn't to say you shouldn't be honest. You can and should tell other coaches that you have a #1 that you have to wait for admissions for before making a final decision - believe me, they will understand. My DD had to wait until she had an admissions acceptance in her hand in December of her senior year before she was willing to say she was committed to her college - the softball part of going to the school was over entering her junior year the previous summer. That was almost 18 months. There were several D3, D1 and NAIA schools who were genuinely happy for her when she got her #1 choice but were also hovering around just in case she didn't.

If it isn't a high academics, and coach can guarantee admissions, and your DD is going, then you are done. Celebrate!
Agree
ADD~
The D3 Coach
( All Coaches)
Are aware of the multiple possible contingencies that can affect final confirmation on attendance.
Verbal is an open ended contract.

Side note comment,
She has verballed without
SAT scores?
Hasn't even applied at the school? Hmmmm?....
Those are factors that can influence discussions.
Other opportunities for that matter.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2012
NC
When my DD verbally committed she called the other two coaches who had interest in her and told them before we posted anything about the commitment. Both coaches thanked her and told her to let them know if anything changes. She still talks to both coaches to this day.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I have been surprised by how many other coaches have remained in contact with my DD after she committed.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
Calling a couple Coaches to tell them that DD2 didn't choose them was hard for her. She knew she had to call them before going "public" with her choice. Like TopCatDad just said. The other schools thanked her and said to let them know if anything changes.
In DD1's case the Coach said "I'm done looking if you are done looking".

May 27, 2013
Will your DD’s choice school do an academic pre-read over the summer so you will get an idea if she will be accepted? That’s where we are at right now with my dd. Her schools can’t do it without an SAT/ACT score and we are hoping that the June ACT still happens. She has a good ACT score but would like to try a second time for a higher score (possibility of more merit money at some schools, possibility of reach school admittance). Unless my dd has a “likely to be accepted“ letter in hand or is officially accepted next year, she will still keep her options open and will not announce any type of commitment. However, she will give the coaches a good idea of if they are her top choice or not ASAP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802