Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Recruitment questions. When to tell coaches you are committed?

Jun 27, 2018
190
28
My daughter is a 2021. She verbally committed to a D3. I know that means nothing official. We are just waiting on her SAT scores and for her to officially apply to the school. She is getting a few coaches that she was previously talking to emailing asking for her summer schedule. Do we still send them her summer schedule? One of these schools in particular would be her solid second choice. At what point should we say we are committed?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Oct 2, 2011
3,533
113
Florida
My daughter is a 2021. She verbally committed to a D3. I know that means nothing official. We are just waiting on her SAT scores and for her to officially apply to the school. She is getting a few coaches that she was previously talking to emailing asking for her summer schedule. Do we still send them her summer schedule? One of these schools in particular would be her solid second choice. At what point should we say we are committed?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you are 100%+ that your DD is going to the school and there is nothing stopping that happening.

If it is a high academic D3 it may not be the coaches' decision - the final decision may lie in the admissions office and they may or may not take athletics into consideration depending on the school. If you are not 100% sure you are going to get through admissions, you are not really committed. Some coaches have influence - some don't. The other consideration is $$$. - depending on college and cost, if you are not sure you can afford the school until you see a financial aid package, you are not committed.

If there is even a 1% chance she doesn't get in or go to the school, continue to be open to recruiting her list of options.

That isn't to say you shouldn't be honest. You can and should tell other coaches that you have a #1 that you have to wait for admissions for before making a final decision - believe me, they will understand. My DD had to wait until she had an admissions acceptance in her hand in December of her senior year before she was willing to say she was committed to her college - the softball part of going to the school was over entering her junior year the previous summer. That was almost 18 months. There were several D3, D1 and NAIA schools who were genuinely happy for her when she got her #1 choice but were also hovering around just in case she didn't.

If it isn't a high academics, and coach can guarantee admissions, and your DD is going, then you are done. Celebrate!
 
Last edited:
Jun 20, 2015
15
3
hurts nothing at this point to keep interested parties informed as to her schedule. Especially, if her first choice is a D3 school. Lots of variables still out there that could change her mind. some softball related, some not. As a point of interest, D3 schools never have a binding letter of intent like D1 does.

Just as an example, say choice number 2 comes forward with a huge academic package and it equates to almost free attendance.... are they now #1 choice?
 
Jun 27, 2018
190
28
I was thinking that. I told her to send her schedule to the other three schools she is considering. I hope we have a summer schedule that actually happens. I also hope everyone is staying healthy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
35,649
Messages
527,320
Members
16,659
Latest member
tikishaw
Top