Recommendations for improving reflexes?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
14 yo DD has two problems in the field : what I would call "slow reflexes" and a fear of the ball. I believe that the latter problem causes the former. I just realized yesterday that this is what's holding her back when it comes to fielding. (I thought she was just slow or "lazy" as my wife likes to say).

She gets a late jump on the ball and while she does catch the ball (when she gets to it in time) she catches it reaching out away from her body (so she doesn't get to them all). It appears to me that she deliberately avoids setting herself squarely in front of a sharply hit ball.

I got the Howard Kobata DVDs and have started working with her on some of the basics. I also am thinking (if I can ever find a field that's open) have her set up at 3B or SS and hit balls to her so she has to react quickly to get them. Actually, I should probably start by hitting them directly at her to build her confidence/comfort level.

My question is, are there drills specific to developing/improving reaction time? I'm not looking for just softball drills, I'm looking for anything that will help her improve- Maybe even beginning with tennis balls in the driveway without a glove?

You know the more I write this, the more the answer appears to me.
Practice!

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We take a bucket of tennis balls. She stands in front of a mat or net. We are about 8 feet in front of her. We throw the tennis balls as fast as we can. She catches in glove and releases as fast as she can. Move the balls around. I have all of Kobata's stuff and have worked with him. Good stuff, but if a kid is afraid of the ball. This is a good drill , as tennis balls don't hurt and it is fun.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You can also get some "softies" that are used for indoor practices, not the foamies but really soft softballs. They don't hurt too bad when they hit you. That may get her confidence up. I have also seen an improvement with the fielders that are scared of the ball when they finally get a facemask.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
We also use the tennis ball drill mentioned by SBFAMILY.

Another great drill is to use an agility ladder at every single practice, either a team practice or individual practice...

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks!
I already have a bucket of Tennis balls and a Jugs screen so I think I'll start with the SBF Tennis ball drill.- I was wondering about doing this with no glove or the softhands paddle instead of a glove? Wonderin' if her glove is too stiff for hanging on to a tennis ball...
thanks again, I'm looking forward to working on this!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Take my 4 year old son for the weekend. The girls at my house have to be ready to react at anytime or it's a bat,ball,car, or flying knee smash to the head.:D

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Add in hitting her soft ground balls without a glove.

Also, have you told her to watch the ball come off the bat? She may not be focused on the bat.

Ray

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If you have a yard, position yourself about 20 feet from her and hit her line drives. You have a bat in one hand and a glove on the other - or have her throw into a net. About 20 of these per morning, should do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802