Recommendations for 8U Catchers Mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Not looking for something expensive and I will also check Play It Again Sports for used but it is sort of a specialty item so I'm not hopeful of finding one there. I'd like to get the girls who will catch next year at 8U a team glove to use and to start woking with my DD who experessed an interest in catching next year. Too often in the past at that age I see girls using their regular fielders glove especially at this age and I'd like to get them used to using the correct equipment at a young age.

But I'm not sure even what a good size recommendation would be? 11" ball will be used.

If anyone has thoughts, they would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 3, 2011
In NorCal, 8u uses the 10" ball. We switch to the 11" for 10u.

I understand what you're saying about using the proper equipment, but at 8u, a regular fielder's glove is the right way to go. Most girls are still learning how to catch a ball and they'll have a lot more success with a regular glove than with a heavier mitt. Also, very few 8u pitchers are throwing hard enough for any extra padding to be needed.

I just bought a Wilson A600 for my young 10u team last night.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
In NorCal, 8u uses the 10" ball. We switch to the 11" for 10u.

I understand what you're saying about using the proper equipment, but at 8u, a regular fielder's glove is the right way to go. Most girls are still learning how to catch a ball and they'll have a lot more success with a regular glove than with a heavier mitt. Also, very few 8u pitchers are throwing hard enough for any extra padding to be needed.

I just bought a Wilson A600 for my young 10u team last night.
Yeah I hear what you are saying but in our NorCal area we used 10" at 6U instructional and move to 11" at 8U - though maybe they changed it's been years since my older one was 8U and my youngest is moving up from 6U. I'd be happy if they used the 10" honestly.

The thing is I've found that most kids at 8U aren't going to catch a lot back there with either glove, maybe one or two girls on the whole team in rec. But if you let them use their regular glove back there, I've found they want to do the same at 10U and even some at 12U (rec, not all-stars) will resist using the catchers glove. So I figured if I could make it mandatory we could indoctrinate them young and get them used to it.

I will check out both gloves recommended as well as any other that may be suggested later on.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
My DD has a Demarini Medusa and she likes it better than her coaches Nokona . Its a little bit smaller mitt but she can catch 11 inch balls no problem . They don't make them anymore but you can catch them on Ebay every once in a while .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad