Recommend beginner's catching equipment set

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
My 10YO DD who pitches has discovered that she enjoys catching as well this past spring and fall. She was probably our best pitcher and catcher on this past fall's 10U rec team. I'd like to get her an inexpensive set of her own catcher's gear for Christmas. Nothing high end, just looking for gear that is similar to what we use in LL. I know she would love to have her own and as a LL coach I can honestly say that I wish all of the girls who caught had their own, just because I hate having to adjust straps between innings! LOL.

Anyway, I've seen sets out there by Wilson, Adidas, All-Star etc that run between 100 and 150 for helmet, mask, chest protector and leg guards. Does anyone have experience with any of these? Obviously don't want to be stuck with something that will fall apart after one season.

Sep 3, 2009

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Thanks! I noticed a couple of reviews on there that aren't great. Something to do with velcro straps wearing out. Guess it is safe to assume that you haven't had those issues?

Those packages are comparable and all should meet your objectives. I'd recommend avoiding velcro straps though. If your DD is "stubborn" enough to want to catch, she won't have any trouble adjusting/fastening regular straps. Velcro is best for kids' shoes before they've learned to tie.

May 9, 2010
adidas Youth 8-12 Protective Catcher's Combo Set - Dick's Sporting Goods

This is the set we bought for our 8yo dd who is a big girl for her age. It's holding up well so far. My 11yo dd's catcher uses the same brand of gear and used it all season and it's still holding up.

One of my catchers bought the Adidas set during the spring season. I noticed she got new leg guards this past weekend. Her mom said the velcro wore out and would not hold any more. She probably got 60 games out of it.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Honestly I don't know that the different technologies make significant differences at that age. Size and fit would be my bigger concern. I've seen girls with odd stances/movements because their shins were too big or chest protector too wide/long. Things are usually cheaper online like at softballsavings.com (or baseballsavings.com) but they don't allow you to try them on. If you find a set of gear that fits well in store try pricing them out online.

Apr 1, 2010
My 10 yr old DD likes her equipment, but it is not a matched set. The leg guards are navy All Star Pro (the 9-12 age size on sale from an online seller and the same e-tailer also had knee savers on sale that I threw into the order. The chest protector is the navy 14" Wilson fastpitch with memory foam (eBay). The only thing I paid full price for was the helmet, which strangely enough is the black Adidas climacool shown with this set. (She had used it in rec ball and it's the one she wanted.) I bought it all about 2 years ago and the equipment's still in pretty good shape (though the guards are pretty skinned up from the dirt and gravel). I feel that the quality of each piece is very good and I rather like knowing that since nothing matches anyway, if she outgrows any one piece, we can just shop to replace it. (I do plan to try to switch from navy to black as she grows, but her first team wore blue.) My total was under $100 and she'll be using them until she outgrows them.

Unless your DD has her heart set on having all three pieces from the same manufacturer, I think there are really good deals out there on separate leg guards, helmets and chest protectors.

Forgot what might be the most important positive--you can get a better fit. If you buy a set, you're stuck with their sizes, even if their helmet is too big or their leg guards are too short, etc. With separates, you can ensure that each piece fits your daughter well. IMO.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2010
We haven't had a velcro issue yet. We bought these as just a starter set while dd decides if she will stick with catching. Once the velcro wears out, we will replace the pieces of gear as needed. I was just making the suggestion as a starter set.

Jul 26, 2010
Shop around, you may be able to find last years set on closeouts. I know I got a good deal on a shutt set because retailers were worried about their bankruptcy and lawsuits, but it was a bit nicer then your run of the mill starter set.

Wilson has some nice beginner sets for pretty cheap that can be bought at Big 5 and such. At that age, it's probably a good way to go.

-W

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802