Recognizing Formidable Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Of course a players stats/reputation over time can label them a Formidable Player.

What about when encountering teams with players you dont know stats/ reputation.

How then do you
Recognize Formidable Players ?!

Is it the way they carry themselves?
Is it just size?
Are they more verbal?
Do they just have a presence?
Or
Perhaps you see it quickly when they make a play?

Whats the TELL for you?

Screenshot_2021-07-22-07-04-49-1.png

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
We were playing a tournament against an out of state team. One of their coaches commented how my DD (without knowing she was my kid) had “it”.

That’s how’d I’d describe players that catch your eye. They just have a confidence in all of their movements. You can tell they know exactly what they are doing and when to do it. They have “it”. And if they’re on the opposing team you should probably take note.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
On super talented teams,
It seems there are still players who stand out as
Formidable.

How can a developing player
reach this title/level?

Can it be learned?
Or
is it just the backbone in some who bring a resiliency that shows leadership in a sport?!!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Is it the way they carry themselves?
Is it just size?
Are they more verbal?
Do they just have a presence?
How they carry themselves: No. Too many people have no self awareness of their own abilities.

Is it their size? No. A factor that can be considered but too many really good players are not physically imposing.

Do they just have a presence? Maybe. Pretty close to “how they carry themselves” above.

Are they more verbal? No. Coaches love this crap. Over communication is not good communication. “Saying stuff” is not leadership. It usually looks insecure as hell to me.

Do they just have a presence? Yeah, maybe.

RAD, you left out “does the player cheer loudly for her team mates?“ Honestly… who cares?

Evaluation of talent is THE thing that coaches at ALL levels are weak at. I’m my opinion it’s because they are still looking at *subjective* crap that does not matter in a game.

Can the player hit. Can the player hit GOOD PITCHING. Can the player run? Is there a defensive position that I need to fill that this player can fill? Does this player have a personality that I can stand to be around for the next x number of years?

RAD I’m not taking shots at you and I’m glad you posted this. I would like to think that the culture of softball would consider how they evaluate players. I think we are behind the times.

Jun 8, 2016
Can the player hit. Can the player hit GOOD PITCHING. Can the player run? Is there a defensive position that I need to fill that this player can fill? Does this player have a personality that I can stand to be around for the next x number of years?
I forgot run in my response...thanks for picking me up :p

radness

Dec 13, 2019
How they carry themselves: No. Too many people have no self awareness of their own abilities.

Is it their size? No. A factor that can be considered but too many really good players are not physically imposing.

Do they just have a presence? Maybe. Pretty close to “how they carry themselves” above.

Are they more verbal? No. Coaches love this crap. Over communication is not good communication. “Saying stuff” is not leadership. It usually looks insecure as hell to me.

Do they just have a presence? Yeah, maybe.

RAD, you left out “does the player cheer loudly for her team mates?“ Honestly… who cares?

Evaluation of talent is THE thing that coaches at ALL levels are weak at. I’m my opinion it’s because they are still looking at *subjective* crap that does not matter in a game.

RAD I’m not taking shots at you and I’m glad you posted this. I would like to think that the culture of softball would consider how they evaluate players. I think we are behind the times.
Excellent read!!!
Can you please share more on your great point
'Would like to think the culture of softball would consider how they evaluate players. I think we are behind in the times.'

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802