Receiving with glove starting in the dirt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2020
Is this method gaining any momentum in softball? Starting with the glove down and receiving the ball on the way up and framing it in the zone. I believe it started with the Twins and that catcher coach is now with the Yankees.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
One reason to do this is to not stick the glove in the target position as to give away location. At younger ages this is not as much of a problem. But at older ages it will lead to sign/location stealing.

Also, it makes framing/presenting smoother than it would be if the glove was up in the strike zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 25, 2019
My DD's catching coach taught her this way. It keeps her from giving away information. It gives her a little bit of relief between pitches. It also allows her to work her glove into the zone. It looks a lot less herky jerky if she can start from one side of the zone or the other and work her way in. Plus it allows her to keep her glove closer to her body and stick pitches better.

Nov 26, 2020
Is this way of receiving related to the one knee down style or are they totally separate?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A little tidbit to consider to Readiness of the catcher...

Muscles that are already engaged and ready are far better than muscles that are relaxed/not in use, especially because we need to react so quickly.

( example could be the difference between starting with muscles holding arm/glove that low that it touches the dirt is different than relaxing your arm and just setting/resting the weight of arm in your glove on the dirt)

Balance should also be considered for Readiness.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020
Someone from the SEC or ACC was doing this in the past week or so. Sorry not to have her name handy, we watched a lot of on-demand games on ESPN in the last 10 days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812