Rec Ball Nightmare

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DD (13) played fall travel ball - horrific experience for her. Decided to play rec ball in another town (our program here stinks). Signed her up for 16u (VERY little "committed" girls there in this age division). She has been on a team that is the bottom of the barrel (one of three teams), which has been fine - coaches are fabulous and girls are nice. One team has a coach who gripes over EVERY single thing, has players who goad our girls and parents who do the same from the other side of the fence. Thinking about having to play that team makes me want to swim in a vat of bourbon.

Last night, two of the parents from that team got ejected from the park for yelling at the other team's hind catcher (no runner, no runner) when there was a girl coming on in from 3rd. We have to play that team tonight. We are going to be a player short (only 9 can go). I called the parks guy this morning and asked if we could borrow a player from either 12u (next level down) or laterally from the team that isn't playing tonight. Nope - can only use girls on our roster. So, we'll be starting the game off with an out every other inning (must bat 10) against this meaner than mean team.

My wish is for anyone who is on this site and in the North Mississippi area to let me know if you have a team that is looking for a solid player (south paw, 1st base). Is she "A" material? I don't think so, but certainly has the skill set to help a team and to get to that level.

I have always been an advocate for rec ball - thoughts were as long as she was playing, it was fine. However, we are reevaluating our situation and not wanting her to have to be part of a program where the coaches condone down right ugly behavior from their players and the parents. Absolute dread for tonight's game....hoping with only 9, we can whip up on them, but I quietly doubt it....

Frustrated -

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Tryouts are right around the corner usually, in about a month . Some teams will start early as now to get a jump on players looking to move up. Contact all the coaches you can get hold of #'s and inquire, be honest about skill level, athletcism, etc and someone can likely point you to a suitable team. good luck.

Thanks a million! I will be looking for tryouts and such. She plays hs ball (fall) and some of the teams we play are from this area (and have girls who play competitive ball). Going to see what's out there. Will certainly be honest about her playing ability...do not EVER want to get on a team where she rides the bench (even during pool play) and gets ignored during practices!! That was the situation with the travel ball team she played on in the fall and it was a terrible nightmare. Coach knew on the front end that she was rough around the edges and chose to do nothing with her to help her hone anything (and yes, we do work with her at home, as well). Thanks for the input and I will let you know if we come up with anything! :)

R

robsam

This is ridiculous. I don't support coaches who do not inspire or motivate players and parents. Sometimes it becomes unbearable when coaches behave unexpectedly. You may get a team according to skills and player level after some inquiry. All the best !!

I'm steadily looking! We played the "mean team" Tuesday night in the tournament. Whipped that tail 11-7 with dd nailing outfield shots every time she got up to the plate!! After our first at bat (we were visitors), their pitcher got SO irritated because we were hitting the ball. By inning 3, we run ruled them - pitcher's momma walked to the dugout and gave her a peeling I haven't seen EVER...just terrible. That inning, they had a player who was trying to do that "slide and stand" thing - had a girl on our hs team who had that down pat but she was like 5' nothing and weighed about 90 pounds. It didn't work for this girl and she wound up having to go to the er. At the end of the game, we heard two of their players griping that if it "hadn't been for blah getting hurt, we'd have won this game"! OMG - we had them long before that happened, but that statement showed their unsportsmanlike conduct. Pitiful - wrote a letter to the head of the parks and rec explaining that we drove over from out of town to play in that league because we had always heard it was a good one. However, if they are going to allow coaches who behave that way to field a team, we will not be back. Unreal! :(

Jul 11, 2010
It is a sad day when a coach allows his players and/or their parents to be such bad sports. Maybe thats why they are not on a higher level team. I am a board member of a small Athletic Assn that promotes Rec softball/baseball. We would never allow that type of behavior in our little slice of heaven. Maybe you should be more aggresive with the parks dept. about your complaint.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802