Rear Leg

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
I’ve had a few hitters lately that have had all back all forward going on and have found success bending the rear leg more and getting more tension in that quad in stance. It’s helped with timing and hip compression during the move out. Just wanted to share and hear yalls thoughts

Nov 16, 2017
I almost totally disagree with this. I actually believe straightening (almost, slight bend) and feeling your weight in your back hip and not your knee is what you should be going for. Getting too into the knee (bending back leg) leads to lunging at the ball and is a less stable launching point for your forward move.

We have been talking a lot about how TM teaches the one leg thing. I am not sold on it as he describes it, however when you almost straighten the back leg out you create a sort of one leg rotation point in the hips which gives you the ability to turn through the ball better.

May 12, 2016
I almost totally disagree with this. I actually believe straightening (almost, slight bend) and feeling your weight in your back hip and not your knee is what you should be going for. Getting too into the knee (bending back leg) leads to lunging at the ball and is a less stable launching point for your forward move.

We have been talking a lot about how TM teaches the one leg thing. I am not sold on it as he describes it, however when you almost straighten the back leg out you create a sort of one leg rotation point in the hips which gives you the ability to turn through the ball better.

I agree 100%... get into the hip, not your knee. Getting into your knee will not solve all back, all forward.. as a matter of fact there is a good chance in game swings that it will result in all back... and not getting forward again, entire backside will collapse and barrel will get dumped.

Aug 20, 2017
Thanks for the input! It’s not for every girl. Just have had few that this made something click with them. Has worked in games to this point so thought I’d share. Teaching them to ride this feeling forward and keeping good posture. I can see lunging becoming an issue

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

I tried crimps and sets and quads and butts and inner foot, and many gadgets - and I could open my hips as I went forward. Once I simply rotated my torso (hips and shoulders) a crazy 45 degrees like all these MLB guys, it all clicked, and you can't open. It works for everyone. It works every time.

[hat tip to laflippin who took all these great catcher-view shots]

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

I tried crimps and sets and quads and butts and inner foot, and many gadgets - and I could open my hips as I went forward. Once I simply rotated my torso (hips and shoulders) a crazy 45 degrees like all these MLB guys, it all clicked, and you can't open. It works for everyone. It works every time.

[hat tip to laflippin who took all these great catcher-view shots]

So the negative move is not all that important in your sequence... it's all about how you proceed forward into toe touch, maintaining the coil(45 degree inward rotation) and creating stretch as you move to heel plant?

Aug 20, 2017
The role of the rear leg is to stabilize the hitter. Some hitters are gonna need more bend for this to occur. The negative move needs to be subtle. I like for hitters to feel the rear leg is anchored to the ground

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101