Reading the ball off the bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
Looks to me like his eyes are on the pitcher at the windup, and he shifts focus to the batter in a ready position well before the arrival of the pitch. He's down and focused on the batter before the pitched ball is even in view.

Sep 17, 2009
This may be obvious but she needs to be on the bounce as the ball leaves the pitcher's hand and reading the bat angle before the bat touches the ball AND THEN react to the ball off the bat. At third base, it's typically one step left one step right and forehand/backhand/dive at best. It's more like playing hockey goalie (if the goalie also was responsible for covering bunts and soft slaps lol). If she's waiting to initiate on contact she's too late (not saying she's doing that, but something to think about).

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Part of being successful at 3B is anticipating. Making the decision(s) before it happens. Understanding the game situation and hitter helps tremendously. She needs to be working all game long to prepare her self for each at bat. Outs, count, runners, score, remembering what the hitter did the last at bat. It’s a lot to keep track of. But the more she does it the better she’ll get. Knowledge is power.

I wonder why she does well practicing with OP is because she’s used to the timing and how the ball comes off the bat. She’s already naturally understanding and reacting to the “hitter”.

Jul 13, 2019
I like what John T. said and I also agree with Strike2. Once she sees the pitcher winding up she should be looking in the strike zone to see when the ball is hit. When the team takes batting practice on the field have her work on seeing the ball in the strike zone. After a while you will be able to tell by where the hitter makes contach where the ball is going. Plus, always expect the ball to be hit to you. As I was typing that last sentence it reminded me of what happened to me early this season I was catching for one of the other coaches when he was hitting pre-game if/of and I had a hard time tracking the ball. Turned out I needed to get a new prescription for my glasses. Plus, Friday we had two girls hit home runs and they both were wearing new contacts so you might want to check her vision. If she still has trouble after trying all of the above I would suggest moving to the outfield.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Most of the time, training starts 'at practice' players are reacting to a coach hitting the ball off the bat.
The defense gets accustomed to seeing hitting mechanics and reading the ball off the bat.
At times coaches use different swings to produce different type of hits
AKA ball off the bat
like pounding grounders or slicing the ball or pop flies.

Ready-set-go starts either the moment before or the moment when the coach throws a toss up to themself.
This is similar to say a third baseman or first baseman glancing at the pitcher and seeing the pitcher in they're ready position to start their motion.
( like the baseball video earlier in the thread)
The defense learns/ knows the timing in the pitch routine.

Myself playing a corner/field defense would never be staring at the pitcher when they were releasing the ball. Simply not enough time to refocus on the batter.
Prefer to read the batter and react to the batter.
I already know where the pitcher is throwing the ball... they're throwing it somewhere around the plate.
What I need to react to is what the batter is doing!

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Most of the time, training starts 'at practice' players are reacting to a coach hitting the ball off the bat.
The defense gets accustomed to seeing hitting mechanics and reading the ball off the bat.
At times coaches use different swings to produce different type of hits
AKA ball off the bat
like pounding grounders or slicing the ball or pop flies.

Ready-set-go starts either the moment before or the moment when the coach throws a toss up to themself.
This is similar to say a third baseman or first baseman glancing at the pitcher and seeing the pitcher in they're ready position to start their motion.
( like the baseball video earlier in the thread)
The defense learns/ knows the timing in the pitch routine.

Myself playing a corner/field defense would never be staring at the pitcher when they were releasing the ball. Simply not enough time to refocus on the batter.
Prefer to read the batter and react to the batter.
I already know where the pitcher is throwing the ball... they're throwing it somewhere around the plate.
What I need to react to is what the batter is doing!
Man, the moment the pitcher is about to release, it's eyes on hitter and pure balls of the feet twitch mode to react.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Tennis balls with racquet. You can blast them at her without the fear of injury. Might sting a little but you wont break any bones. they will bounce out of her glove but that's ok. Also be sure to have you back to her to better mimic the right handed batter.
THIS!!
Bryan Pack @ USC Upstate does this at all of his camps, and to me it's one of the highlights of the camp! He's hitting absolute pissrod lasers and talking pure junk to every girl that steps in at 3B! He's very good at it, the man could put a tennis ball in a tea cup! It was always fun to watch!

Also, how are her eyes? Maybe a checkup is in order?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802