razzing the pitcher in U10

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2008
A fastball to the ribs of the batter, and a smile toward the dugout will usually put an end to it pretty quickly.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
2bucketdad: yeah -NO! somehow I've never taught my girls to intentfully hit a batter, we throw close to the knees and close to the chin, but never intending to hit a batter.........
- THOUGH I appreciate how you feel!

Jun 1, 2009
This is a great site, I have been following it for about 6 months.
I finally have to respond to this.
This is my first year coaching a travel team, I personally got tired of rec ball, and the lack of commitment.
First tournament, first game, one of my girls starts chanting at the pitcher. No sooner did she start it, I called time, had the girl up to bat, and girl that was on deck, come to the bench. I said that will never happen again, it's "bush league", that if i ever hear anyone say or yell anything bad about an opposing player, they will be benched.
I did tell them they can and better cheer for their teammates, but not against the other team.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't like cheering against someone, either. The girls that I work with are learning to deal with it at an early age. Hopefully, by the time they are 12, it will roll off their backs.

The more sure of themselves they become, the less these cheers will affect them.

It is the same as a non parent yelling hitting instruction to them while they are in the batter's box, they have to tune it out.

Building confidence is the key.

May 17, 2008
Michigan
Hi everyone,
I am a pitcher and I would like to share what happened to me during one game. A pitch came up short of the strike zone which I knew it was going to be called a "ball.' While I was getting ready for the next pitch, I heard a fan from the opposing team say in my direction "nice change up" and started laughing. I knew he was trying to get into my head, but that didn't happen. My thoughts "it's a change up you want, a change up the hitter will get." Sure enough, that is what I threw on the inside corner and the hitter was way out in front for strike 2. The next pitch, I changed both velocity and location. I watched the hitter swing after it was already in the glove of the catcher for strike 3.
The point I am trying to make is, pitching is a mental game as many other aspects are as well. There will always be someone who will try to get into your head be it a fan or a member of the opposing team. When you as a pitcher can turn around someone trying to get in your head and use it (what the individual is saying) to your advantage, it not only builds your confidence, but more than likely that fan/individual will not try to "give you advice"/ get in your head again because he has seen that it is to his/his team's disadvantage.
Still, the best way to go is to tune out what is being said, focus on what you know how to do, your catcher, and your next pitch.

Lori

Jun 20, 2008
2bucketdad: yeah -NO! somehow I've never taught my girls to intentfully hit a batter, we throw close to the knees and close to the chin, but never intending to hit a batter.........
- THOUGH I appreciate how you feel!

Do you coach a travel team in suffolk or a rec or allstar team and what age division? I not saying to signal to hit the batter, but if the pitcher did I wouldn't be mad. One of my daughters would not intentionally hit anyone but the other may just because...

Jan 19, 2009
As a HS coach I have called time to tell my players to stop a cheer that can even remotely be against the other team. I don't like negative in any part of the game.

I guess if if the other team has to resort to negativity they are really saying they aren't good enough to beat you between the lines. You can tell your pitcher that she is so good that have to stoop to that level to even have a chance of winning. Every negative cheer would be a compliment.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
2bucketdad: I've coached HS, LL and travel in Southern MD for 11 years and now after moving from MD to VA help a 16U team here in Suffolk and HS. When I teach pitchers, ALL my pitchers know I like the low-In to the knees to see if the batter flinches or becomes a defensive hitter, if not, we try and go high-in.... my point is I want my pitchers NEVER to be afraid to pitch INSIDE and tell them I've NEVER seen a batter in a softball game taken out in an ambulance from being hit by a pitch. I then tell them, I don't EVER teach to hit them intentionally, but if you pitch inside and you do hit a batter, that's part of the game and she CANNOT be afraid to throw back inside again. My favorite pitch is the INSIDE Curve to throw it at the batter's hip and have it break back over the plate, but when a pitcher 1st tries this and if her pitch doesn't break, it may hit the batter, but the intent isn't to hit her, its to get her to become a defensive hitter, giving the pitcher the advantage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23