Rawlings HOH Custom: Palm Pad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2020
Is the reason the pockets of the A2000 FPCM gets wrinkley is that the sting pad is attached to the pocket? Do the layers (from outside to inside)go pocket leather, sting pad, felt, palm leather?

I want to redo my DD's wilson because the laces are getting tired and the pocket needs adhesive... I'd like to learn as much about the glove as possible before getting started.
The sting pad will cause a lump on one side of the palm/pocket but it isn't the culprit for the pocket having wrinkles. The pocket on that glove has wrinkles because palm adhesive is designed to adhere two pieces of leather together but on most catchers gloves, including the A2000, the felt is what the leather is trying to adhere to and the bond isn't that strong. I have thought about using contact cement to glue a thin piece of leather to the felt so palm adhesive can do a better job adhering leather to leather but that could have negative side effects and the felt may become less flexible, I'd need to test it on a throw away glove before doing it to a client's glove.

The stock laces on A2000s are often pretty crispy and you'll see a lot of them in the web break. I probably relace at least 3 or 4 FPCMs a month. That little top piece of the web can be confusing and you'll need a skiver for the palm laces and the web "windows" . Take photos while you pull it apart. Be prepared to use about 7 laces. Six 3/16" and one 1/4" unless you decide to lace the perimeter in 1/4" which is unnecessary but some glove guys do it that way.

Or you can always ship it to So Cal and I can do it for you.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020
They make thermo formed sound way better.

Thermo Formed
A breathable, moisture wicking liner made of a soft, wrapped foam. A standard Heart of the Hide feature.
The problem with the foam/poron is that once they add the palm adhesive the foam no longer becomes breathable or moisture wicking. Also as palm adhesive is designed to have some float in it the foam pad is ground down to a pulp, especially in catchers gloves where it is sewen to the felt padding. I've pulled lace from Rawlings catchers gloves and just been showered in yellow nerf dust

Nov 8, 2020
Cool to see, thank you.

My older daughter just got an A2000 FPCM (the 2019 or 2020, not sure) and it's a huge improvement from her old LS used model I picked up for $40. Break-in took me a week of almost an hour a day and then her using in practice 5-6 days. She now uses it in games and it's working great.

Any other details on the inside?

The honeycomb covers the base of the index and middle finger, is that it?

What's the interior pad like? Leather?
The honeycombed rubber piece is it, there is no other padding other than the felt. If I had a sewing machine I might sew and cc a leather pad to the felt.... but if I had a sewing machine I think I'd be too busy to do my actual work.

On this glove, make sure to keep it conditioned, aside from the broken laces in the web, I have seen some drying and cracking around the holes but the 2 I have seen with the cracking were several years old and a slightly different design, from when the glove still had the index finger hole.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
The sting pad will cause a lump on one side of the palm/pocket but it isn't the culprit for the pocket having wrinkles. The pocket on that glove has wrinkles because palm adhesive is designed to adhere two pieces of leather together but on most catchers gloves, including the A2000, the felt is what the leather is trying to adhere to and the bond isn't that strong. I have thought about using contact cement to glue a thin piece of leather to the felt so palm adhesive can do a better job adhering leather to leather but that could have negative side effects and the felt may become less flexible, I'd need to test it on a throw away glove before doing it to a client's glove.

The stock laces on A2000s are often pretty crispy and you'll see a lot of them in the web break. I probably relace at least 3 or 4 FPCMs a month. That little top piece of the web can be confusing and you'll need a skiver for the palm laces and the web "windows" . Take photos while you pull it apart. Be prepared to use about 7 laces. Six 3/16" and one 1/4" unless you decide to lace the perimeter in 1/4" which is unnecessary but some glove guys do it that way.

Or you can always ship it to So Cal and I can do it for you.

Thanks for the tips, it is always appreciated. I've already had to relace the entire web, the two laces through the top were confusing for a bit, but in hindsight, pretty straight forward. The super-skived leather lacing the web slots are basically brittle and in need of replacement.

It totally makes sense that the problem of pocket adhesive trying to stick to felt is a no go. What about a thin patch of leather sewn to the felt? I agree, contact adhesive might be brittle and the leather might not stick for long. I wonder how rubber cement would work.

Either way, it seems like some tinkering would be best but that often doesn't work when the glove is currently being used. @Schmick's Gloves thank you for always helping, it is a great resource having you here.

And FWIW, I'm in so cal... South Orange County. maybe I'll see you around

Nov 8, 2020
Thanks for the tips, it is always appreciated. I've already had to relace the entire web, the two laces through the top were confusing for a bit, but in hindsight, pretty straight forward. The super-skived leather lacing the web slots are basically brittle and in need of replacement.

It totally makes sense that the problem of pocket adhesive trying to stick to felt is a no go. What about a thin patch of leather sewn to the felt? I agree, contact adhesive might be brittle and the leather might not stick for long. I wonder how rubber cement would work.

Either way, it seems like some tinkering would be best but that often doesn't work when the glove is currently being used. @Schmick's Gloves thank you for always helping, it is a great resource having you here.

And FWIW, I'm in so cal... South Orange County. maybe I'll see you around
For sure, I'd be happy to do the glove, turn around is generally a day as long as there are no tears and you choose lace colors I have in stock.

I've done a few, recently.View attachment 21367Screenshot_20210312-132554_Gallery.jpgView attachment 21368View attachment 21370Screenshot_20210312-132951_Gallery.jpgView attachment 21372Screenshot_20210312-133150_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210312-133246_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210312-133307_Gallery.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23