Rated the best coach in TB? Why? It's a Crying Shame.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Talking about Marty?
He constructs great teams. Beat us 4-3 in Arizona in the fall. We used all players . He played to win in a meaningless showcase :)

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Coach Doover?
Many parents are insane. They ignore all sorts of things based on reputation/past results/pride/bragging rights, etc, etc. It is amazing what they can justify away.

I know who you are talking about, and that coach isn't even close to being the worse out there. Which is tremendously sad when you think about it.

In the end, parents GENERALLY do what they think is best for their kid - whether that is actually a good decision or not.
Marriard, I'm sure you see a lot of this. Does it ever come up in conversation with your fellow umpires about what can be done about clowns like this?
Or any other DFP'ers in charge of leagues or tournaments, do you spend more time on addressing or preventing coaches' bad behaviors?
Any passerby who speaks up while a "coach" is going profanely nuts-o on his team could be putting themselves in a dangerous situation.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Marriard, I'm sure you see a lot of this. Does it ever come up in conversation with your fellow umpires about what can be done about clowns like this?
Unless they actually break the rules there is nothing we can/should do during a game. It is not our role - they can coach however they like. We certainly do discuss them - most umpire rooms are a bunch of old gossips.

Or any other DFP'ers in charge of leagues or tournaments, do you spend more time on addressing or preventing coaches' bad behaviors?

Our org has strict behavior rules for our coaches. And our teams tend to be on the 'A' side of travel - so we are in a position to keep coaches like this out because our coaches have been around long enough to establish a reputation. We have turned away various coaches who wanted to be part of our org in the past. It has short-term occasionally lost us some players and even a full team or two who went to another org because Coach A$$ went there after we said 'no', but long term it has been beneficial to our rep.

We have also occasionally turned some teams from our tournaments because of certain coaches - but not many - and it was generally because they have been thrown out multiple times, not how they coached their players.

Any passerby who speaks up while a "coach" is going profanely nuts-o on his team could be putting themselves in a dangerous situation.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The coach RollingHard is referring to has a tremendous amount of players earn college scholarships. I think that's why parents put up with it. Prestige of the name of the org and chasing schollies.

For many of these coaches, that is generally BS as well. The best players often had scholarships or were close to committing BEFORE they get with these coaches. Coaches building their rep on players someone else developed or from just recruiting massive talent.

"He got players in into School X and Y" says the parent of the kid being treated worse on these teams but paying the $$$ - ignoring that they were already committed before joining the team. Then they get replaced by some new shiny player coach has fooled and they end up playing for NorthSouth West Dakota State.

The worst coach like this is a D1 coach we direct our players away from.

Oct 4, 2018
In our little rinky-dink B level, local Georgia tournaments, I was coaching a game and an umpire comes up to me and says:

"This coach you're playing cheats. Be on the lookout"

... and low and behold, the coach did try to cheat in the game.

So if umpires are warning other coaches about this guy, makes me wonder what they think about the coaches who are really bad (and they don't like).

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
I’ve found that if a team has the coach’s last name associated with it, that comes with an ego. Bonus points if that coach submits tons of articles to the softball publications like “Extra Innings”. At some point it’s less about the kids and more about them being associated with winning - at any cost. (Been there, done that. Couldn’t pay me to do it again.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802