Radar guns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Has anyone used a Bushnell radar gun, it's like 89.99 on Amazon? This question can be about pitching as well, since my kids pitch as well. When I was younger and teaching my niece I bought a Jugs for 900.00. I sold it, wish I never did. Anyways it would be close to 20 years old by know anyways.

I can set up my phone as a camera and get ball flight metrics and swing metrics at the same time. I was just looking for a simple way at measuring ball exit speeds.

I was wondering how many have used radar as feedback of exit velocities? And perhaps have used the Bushnell and Pocket radar? Has anyone compared the Bushnell to other radars?

I'm fine in buying a cheap radar gun for just a close idea as feedback. Just wondering if I should spend a little more money for a Pocket radar? If someone has used the Pocket radar and has compared the Pocket radar to other guns? I would be interested in hearing about that as well, Pocket radar.

Nov 25, 2016
I have a Bushnell it reads about 10mph slower than other radars. I have had my DD clocked on a $2000 juggs gun that read her at 55mph -57mph, a pocket radar that had her at 53-55 and a Bushnell that has her at 43-45. I tend to think the Pocket Radar is the best value and probably the closest to accurate. I don't know if the Bushnell isn't picking up an accurate reading because I'm trying to catch and radar at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
HOG11,

Thanks, that the kind of information I was looking for in this thread. Ten miles an hour in a big difference. That's not the kind of feedback you want. I'm leaning towards the Pocket radar, I'll have to save up for it though.

I use to catch my niece and radar her at the same time on my old Jugs gun. Never had a problem with inaccurate readings.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Hog11,

What might be happening is the in the quality of the radar gun is when it gets the reading. I know a Jugs gets it out of the hand quickly. Your Bushnell might be getting the reading later. Maybe.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I like my Pocket Radar but never tried it for exit velo. Accurate readings need to be taken pretty much inline with the path the ball takes. Standing in front of the batter is probably not the smartest thing to do🤕. I'm not sure if the radar would read the ball or the bat if you stand behind the batter.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I like my Pocket Radar but never tried it for exit velo. Accurate readings need to be taken pretty much inline with the path the ball takes. Standing in front of the batter is probably not the smartest thing to do🤕. I'm not sure if the radar would read the ball or the bat if you stand behind the batter.

The only experience I have with exit velocity is my old Jugs gun. You could stand behind the pitcher or the hitter is get accurate readings.

Thanks for the feedback, maybe others have used the Pocket radar for exit velocity. Or have stood behind the pitcher/hitter.

Jul 27, 2015
I have a Bushnell it reads about 10mph slower than other radars. I have had my DD clocked on a $2000 juggs gun that read her at 55mph -57mph, a pocket radar that had her at 53-55 and a Bushnell that has her at 43-45. I tend to think the Pocket Radar is the best value and probably the closest to accurate. I don't know if the Bushnell isn't picking up an accurate reading because I'm trying to catch and radar at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I check the calibration on my Pocket Radar by getting in my car. Setting the cruise. Having Waze or my GPS on. Then driving by a road sign and turning on my Pocket Radar Gun and comparing it to the GPS reading. It has been 100% accurate every time.

Jun 26, 2019
I had a chance many years ago to play with several radar guns when my dad and I were looking at them for racing use so that was our primary focus. The difference in the speeds mentioned above is probably due to one picking it up much quicker than the others, like right off the pitchers hand or hitters bat vs half way to home plate vs across the plate.
I would be willing to bet that if you took the three guns showing differences in speeds on a pitch and stood on a freeway overpass and read a semi truck going a steady speed they would all read very close. Furthermore, not all radar guns work very well with round or oddly shaped objects, for example some of the ones we looked at years ago would work fine on cars but very poorly on a v hull boat that was coming straight at you.
Greatly simplified: look for one that is designed for ball since that is your primary use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee