Radar Gun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Looking to buy an inexpensive radar gun ....
some of you have purchased one around $100?
I was looking on radarguns.com

I'd be OK with spending that..maybe $125 ...

Could these be used for bat speed too?

Any advice on a decent one? Whick one might be junk? Etc...

Been clocked at 50-52 ish a lot end of season... but lost some of it....
(Nike camp was good for everything but her pitching...they told her to change a couple things)....back to drils!

Jul 17, 2008
in the dugout
i've got this one and it works great. under 100 bucks. every girl that i clock with it swears it's wrong but it is dead on the speedometer in my truck. i call it my heartbreaker... every girl thinks she's throwing 60 when she actually throws 50 :rolleyes:
yhst-29193189644753_2008_76707813

This costs more than you want to spend, but if you can save up for it, the added feature of telling you the number of spins for each pitch is pretty nice. My DD's pitching coach has one and it really helps her work on her movement, he usually doesn't even tell her the speed, just the spins.

RevFire Softball

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
make model? bgecoach

i've got this one and it works great. under 100 bucks. every girl that i clock with it swears it's wrong but it is dead on the speedometer in my truck. i call it my heartbreaker... every girl thinks she's throwing 60 when she actually throws 50 :rolleyes:
yhst-29193189644753_2008_76707813

LOL.....they all think they throw faster ... my DD always says Mid 50's ... I usually come back with a smile and "barely 50".

Just hoping to track our progress better.
She's willing to do the work ...

She's not fortunate to be tall at all (4/96 and only 5'1")... so we need to make sure her mechanics are very good (not there yet at all).
Doesn't mean that she can't get into a nice college somewhere ... but genetics probably prevent the Olympic team!

Thanks!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I use a gloveradar. It only gauges the pitcher that I am catching, but it gives me a scale to go by.

My DD pitched for 8 years and never had a radar gun on her.

You can tell 50 from 55 from 60, if you have played long enough. Good luck and have fun.

I wouldn't mind having that Revfire, though. :)

Jul 17, 2008
in the dugout
LOL.....they all think they throw faster ... my DD always says Mid 50's ... I usually come back with a smile and "barely 50".

Just hoping to track our progress better.
She's willing to do the work ...

She's not fortunate to be tall at all (4/96 and only 5'1")... so we need to make sure her mechanics are very good (not there yet at all).
Doesn't mean that she can't get into a nice college somewhere ... but genetics probably prevent the Olympic team!

Thanks!

in this area 50mph 12 year olds are on the higher end. i actually see a lot 16u teams with pitchers throwing high 40s to low 50s. keep 'em down, move 'em around, hit your spots, play some defense and you'll do just fine. i know a high school ace here in town that throws around 48 or so and has no problem controlling games as well as most of 60mph pitchers do.

May 13, 2008
No gun is perfect and some are better than others. The thing I like about the SpeedTrac X is that the pitcher/batter can get instant feedback on how they are pitching/swinging. With it, the pitcher can see that when they muscle up and fail to stay loose and relaxed that they actually slow down. The batter can see that when they get their hips involved in the swing the bat head speeds up.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
radar

in this area 50mph 12 year olds are on the higher end. i actually see a lot 16u teams with pitchers throwing high 40s to low 50s. keep 'em down, move 'em around, hit your spots, play some defense and you'll do just fine. i know a high school ace here in town that throws around 48 or so and has no problem controlling games as well as most of 60mph pitchers do.

I've talked to the travel coaches and I keep getting mid 50's for 12U ...
We aren't going to be there for a while.

We had a travel pitcher in our LL rec league who played 12U ...incredibly fast...but also quite wild. Had to be taken out of the All Star games because of lack of control. Gets rattled easily.

MY DD is more smart than fast...corners....comes back with great low inside and change up for lots of strike outs.
Mechanics need work ... needs to push off as she is a lot of arm ....

We have several pitchers who have tough times and cry on the mound, etc.
Many get rattled very easily ...

Gun would be good .... I'm not sure she is at 50 right now, seems tight since her Softball camp....
12 is tough as she is getting very self conscious about her body .... little pudge going on right now even though she isn't a couch potato.

Helping her to let loose would be good so a gun would show her what makes her faster...more confidence..feeds on itself.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802