Quitting TB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
After the last fall tournament DD and her friend were having doubts about her travel ball team. One game she batted twice and played a total of 1 inning on defense. Similar in the next game. Last game of the day - came in and pinch hit and played 1 inning of defense. We have a 13 girl roster and I get that not every player can play all the time but there were some girls that never sat on this team. It was honestly worse for her friend who did not bat at all on Sunday. And was only brought in to pitch after we were already down by a lot and the game was pretty much lost anyway. She did come in and pitch 3 innings of shut out ball - after our #1 pitcher gave up 9 runs in 1.2 innings. So after that day DD was talking about quitting. Her friend's mom did contact the coach and he said he was sorry for not playing her enough - so I think she is staying. But DD already had her mind made up.
We waited a few days and finally emailed her coaches last nite to say she was not coming back in the spring.
DD does not want to play in college - she is actually enlisting in the Navy after HS so she also does not want to take playing time away from the girls who actually do want to play in college. And really just wanted to have a fun time her last season.
She is looking at playing rec in the spring so she is doing something - she still really loves SB.

This is just kind of a sad time for me - she's been playing SB for over 10 years and I'm glad she is going to do rec but I will miss the car rides and hotel stays and everything else that came along with travel. It's already hard enough that soon she'll be leaving for boot camp in the summer. But I'm happy if she is able to have a fun spring before then. It's been a while since we've even see the rec side of things but she does still know girls who will be playing.

Mar 10, 2020
After the last fall tournament DD and her friend were having doubts about her travel ball team. One game she batted twice and played a total of 1 inning on defense. Similar in the next game. Last game of the day - came in and pinch hit and played 1 inning of defense. We have a 13 girl roster and I get that not every player can play all the time but there were some girls that never sat on this team. It was honestly worse for her friend who did not bat at all on Sunday. And was only brought in to pitch after we were already down by a lot and the game was pretty much lost anyway. She did come in and pitch 3 innings of shut out ball - after our #1 pitcher gave up 9 runs in 1.2 innings. So after that day DD was talking about quitting. Her friend's mom did contact the coach and he said he was sorry for not playing her enough - so I think she is staying. But DD already had her mind made up.
We waited a few days and finally emailed her coaches last nite to say she was not coming back in the spring.
DD does not want to play in college - she is actually enlisting in the Navy after HS so she also does not want to take playing time away from the girls who actually do want to play in college. And really just wanted to have a fun time her last season.
She is looking at playing rec in the spring so she is doing something - she still really loves SB.

This is just kind of a sad time for me - she's been playing SB for over 10 years and I'm glad she is going to do rec but I will miss the car rides and hotel stays and everything else that came along with travel. It's already hard enough that soon she'll be leaving for boot camp in the summer. But I'm happy if she is able to have a fun spring before then. It's been a while since we've even see the rec side of things but she does still know girls who will be playing.
In other words she's not quitting she's aligning herself at the rec level.
Parents often feel melancholy about their children soon to leave the nest.
The Navy will give her guidance and supervision.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
maybe align herself with a better travel coach for her last season.
She doesn't want to try out for any other team. These coaches were fine honestly. One called me and said that it was really a mistake on their part for the playing time. And I'm sure things would be better in the spring - but it is what it is. I think she feels bad since she's just not as serious about SB as the other girls and doesn't want to take time from those that are.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
If it was a coach/playing time issue - we would have talked to the coaches about that. But there were other factors involved that made up DD's mind. We waited a bit before we finally got her final decision about it. Coach did mention if she's able during the spring, she could come play a weekend - but we'll see how it goes. I'll still be watching their games since two of DD's friends are on the team.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478