Quick Poll

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2009
OK I have a difference of opinion with a HS coach.
Can those of you who have been around college softball or who have kids playing college softball please tell me what bat sizes they are swinging. These are non-slapper's these are power hitters.
Thanks
Mike

May 11, 2009
We have 3 kids that are strong farm kids. They have been swinging 34/24's for over a year. Now with one game left in districts the HS coach is telling the kids they are not allowed to swing 34/24's.......the team they face to go to state has one pitcher and she tops out at 52 mph. This is about 6 or 7 mph slower than most of the teams we have faced and he wants our power hitters to go down in bat weight and length???:eek:
One kid leads the team in home runs with 9. One kid has struck out 5 times in 88 plate appearances and has a .429 BA. Why screw with them now? That is what we are facing.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Coach = idiot

For one you don't change a batters bat if it's working successful, as your stats indicate. ( and you sure don't mess with it at the END of the season )

So his theory is with a "slower" pitcher is to use a bat they can swing faster with ( lower weight )? Wow

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
BB swung a 33/23 in high school. Now, she swings a 34/24. Many of her teammates swing 34/25 or drop 9s.

GOINGDEEP said it best - COACH = IDIOT. (Thought I'd yell it.)

May 11, 2009
Thanks for the responses guys I just wanted to make sure I was not the one being stupid......
Cannonball - Amber has been using a 34/24 for all of spring TB and most of this HS season. I had her switch back to her 33/23 to get a bit more bat speed, but most of all to change her mental state. She was at .525 and slumped to .349 at which point the HS coach came up to me and asked if I could fix her. I laughed at him and told him I can get her back where she was but he would need to stop telling her to hit everything to right field and stop telling her to hit the top of the ball. She is seeing the ball very well and if you tell her to hit the top of the ball she does just that and gets thrown out at first 80% of the time. I asked him if he can hit an inside pitch to right field.....he said he just wanted her to wait longer and get it up the middle. I explained to him that she is not stupid and if he wanted her to do that then that is what he should ask her to do. Well she is back up to .429 and hit one off the top of the fence on Thursday night in the semi finals. But for him to grab her bat and two other kids bats and tell them that they cannot use their 34/24's is just crazy at this point of the year. I tried to explain to him that if their mechanics were correct then they should not have an issue swinging a 24 ounce bat.
I wish you would move to Iowa and be our coach!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee