Quick pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What are they looking at when they step into the box if not the pitcher? Sounds like they need some coaching.

My kids got burned on this once in 12U. Her in-the-box routine was too long, and the pitch came before she was ready. She got rung up for a K-looking. Only K of the fall season for her. She was pissed! However, she also immediately adjusted her routine.

Jun 22, 2008
why?

I wasn't aware of a time stipulation for when hands can come together after stepping on the plate - only that hands MUST be separated when stepping on the plate.

The rule says something along the lines of the pitcher must take position on the pitching plate with the hands separated, and while in this position take or simulate taking a signal from the catcher. By rule she is required to keep the hands separated long enough to at least simulate taking a signal. This has been a point of emphasis for 3 years running in NFHS, they want it enforced. The rule is essentially the same in all softball rulesets I am aware of.

Mar 22, 2019
Illinois
Hello all
Is quick pitching illegal in fastpitch 12u?
Batter steps in the box before she looks up at the pitcher boom in the catchers glove. Umpire allowed it. Any takes?

My DD hit the umpire on 3 different occasions from pitching too fast. neither the catcher or the umpire were ready. This was early on last season 11U when she was learning to pitch and she has been broken of that since but was very funny to watch. She still sets and pitches as fast as they will let her. LIKE MARK BUEHRLE. Thats my White Sox plug for the year.

Jan 27, 2019
NFHS Rule 7-3-1 gives the batter 10 seconds after the pitcher receives the ball in the circle to take her place in the box (be ready to hit). (Penalty) If she delays more than 10 seconds the umpire shall call a strike.

A pitch should be delivered 20 seconds after the pitcher gets the ball back at the end of each play. The batter has 10 seconds to get ready of receive a penalty strike. The pitcher has the remainder of the 20 seconds the batter receives a ball as a penalty on the pitcher. Typically if you enforce this rule early in the game the long delays remedy themselves quickly.

May 1, 2019
Well as you said, Umpire allowed it... so that tells me that he didn't believe the batter wasn't ready, or maybe the batters were taking too long to get "ready". Did the coach ask the Umpire about it?

As soon as the 2nd foot entire ball was pitched I'm talking bam bam. Coach did ask ump I'm not sure what the dialogue was

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28