Questions to ask at a campus clinic.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
We went to one camp this past fall and there was an opportunity for parents to ask questions of the coach. I wasn't prepared with questions so the only thing I asked was how many hours a student has to devote to the team based on the division. Going to another camp next week and I want to be prepared with questions if the opportunity arises.

DD is a sophomore, so I wouldn't ask questions specific to her. I'm thinking I should ask if the program is fully funded, is the team required to live on campus for the entire four years, do players have many opportunities to practice on their own (like tee work) when the team is not practicing?

Are there other questions I should be asking?

Sep 9, 2019
It's great to ask questions and be prepared but I'd honestly listen more than ask as a parent. Discuss with DD what both would like to learn while there and have her ask the unanswered. Most of these sessions include the campers. Questions from them are a great opportunity to be looked at straight in the eye by the coach. Good for players, not necessarily for parents. Real tough to stay out of it but as a parent, I'd rather go unnoticed.
Some of your specific questions are maybe most appropriate for visits. Ask more questions about how to get noticed, campus atmosphere, academics and such at this age. JMHO having been through it once with son and now a 2022 DD. This year is vital and need to establish interest by fall next year.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
DD attended a camp recently and the HC had a meeting just for parents re: financial issues/scholarships. The girls were out doing stations before scrimmaging. So, we were able to ask questions re: how many scholarships he anticipates for 2021 players, whether they are able to "stack" monies, etc... I asked for examples of Athlete/Parent behavior that has gotten kids crossed off their prospective list. That was interesting. I love that this camp did that and then they had a separate session for PSAs and parents together where the girls asked most of the questions.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
DD attended a camp recently and the HC had a meeting just for parents re: financial issues/scholarships. The girls were out doing stations before scrimmaging. So, we were able to ask questions re: how many scholarships he anticipates for 2021 players, whether they are able to "stack" monies, etc... I asked for examples of Athlete/Parent behavior that has gotten kids crossed off their prospective list. That was interesting. I love that this camp did that and then they had a separate session for PSAs and parents together where the girls asked most of the questions.

Great to know. What does "'stack' monies" mean?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Great to know. What does "'stack' monies" mean?

This school (a mid-major D1) school is NOT permitted to stack monies, so you can't have an individual player with 25% athletic money and 25% academic or need-based money. They can only have one category. And they have less than the traditional 12 scholarships to divvy up among their 2021 recruits and current players. So, they are looking for high academic achievers who can get more academic $$ and free up athletic $$ for great players with lower GPA/test scores.

Jun 27, 2018
So if a school has stack monies it can combine athletic/academic money? If they don’t they can not? It has to be one or the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
So if a school has stack monies it can combine athletic/academic money? If they don’t they can not? It has to be one or the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am NOT an expert, but I just know that this is how it is for that one school. Sounds like the Board of Trustees has the power to make rules about that type of stuff. Maybe someone else can chime in about that.

Apr 20, 2015
It depends too on the division....for example in division I academic money can only be given to athletes in the top 10% of their class and a certain act/sat score 27ish I believe. So if a school offers an academic scholarship for a top 15 and 25 the athlete can't accept that...supposed to keep the playing field even between more and less academically competitive d1 schools....personally I think just a shaft to the student athlete.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478