Questions about lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Spin doesn't matter? Spin comes from good mechanics. Speed comes from good mechanics. Spot comes from good mechanics. Of course there might be those outliers, the unicorns or exceptional (truly gifted and a little lucky) athletes who don't need to practice or work on improving their mechanics to get the most out of each pitch. I'll say it again... without solid, repeatable mechanics most pitchers aren't going to consistently hit called locations.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Spin doesn't matter? Spin comes from good mechanics. Speed comes from good mechanics. Spot comes from good mechanics. Of course there might be those outliers, the unicorns or exceptional (truly gifted and a little lucky) athletes who don't need to practice or work on improving their mechanics to get the most out of each pitch. I'll say it again... without solid, repeatable mechanics most pitchers aren't going to consistently hit called locations.
Understand your point about consistency in mechanics.

Your last sentence is most important
Consistantly hit called locations

*Location is the goal of mechanics!

Without applying that goal mechanics could be pretty but success ugly.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Oh hell no...walk every batter. Never mind...moving on.
Tatonka its a discussion!

Understand your point about consistency in mechanics.

Your last sentence is most important
Consistantly hit called locations

Without applying that goal mechanics could be pretty but success ugly.

The point as i said previously...
Location is the goal of mechanics.

It was good to read you applied that in your previous post.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2015
The only person who can teach the pitcher control is the pitcher.

I am going to guess we are talking about slightly different things.

At 10u, the instructor can't spend all their time on mechanics than say "go home and figure out how hit the corners" How is the student supposed to know how to do that? What other part of softball is left up to the player to figure it out?

At 10u, we were so excited just to throw strikes half the time. I remember at one lesson I was praising my daughter for throwing a strike or two, and the instructor stopped the lesson and said that pitch was going to get hit. I told her she did not understand - we were playing 10u rec. No one was going to hit that. The instructor said we were not practicing for 10u, we were practicing for 14u and above. And she taught my daughter how to hit a corner, and then demanded that she do it. That exchange right there had a huge impact on my daughter's pitching skills. It certainly helped me as the dad catcher to know what to do at home. I can't correct my daughter on too many pitching mechanics, but I can certainly tell her is she is throwing meatballs.

Jul 14, 2018

Those who comment pitcher's work on mechanics at all levels, sure agree...
*However they have a tactical purpose of directing the ball to specific locations.

Sorry, didn’t mean to set off a snark bomb. RAD said it better than me, but that’s the point I was trying to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee