Questions about lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2015
So how much of a lesson time is spent on mechanics vs pitch location? I speculate, based on what I see at games, the ratio is about 100% on mechanics and 0% for location for most pitching lessons. Or, am I totally off and hitting a location is a very difficult skill to learn that most girls can't learn it?

Our first, thankfully it was the first so the foundation was set, pitching coach probably did something like 90% mechanics and 10% location. No other pitching coach we have seen talked about location or taught it.

And what do I see in games from most pitchers? 4 different pitches that do not end up where they were called. I am talking about 18A teams that travel about. We have two senior pitchers who are going D-III, one to a top 10 team D-III team, who maybe hit their spots 50% of the time?

Why does a pitching coach let Sally start throwing her 8th pitch, an inverted screw-ball, before she even knows how to throw a fastball on the outside corner successfully at least 90% of the time? Is it because Sally will find a new pitching coach if she does not get to learn the new pitch?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just to ask
Do you recognize pitchers have an assortment of talent levels?

Just like anything else in softball instructors, coaches, players....

Every pitching instructor i know communicates about location.
Its HARD to believe with all the pitching targets and on line teaching tools available that pitch location would be left out.
Unless your speaking to early begginers.

As to the other points, far to much generalization grouping all pitchers in same lump.

Sep 19, 2018
My DD is 11. She plays the 'location' game every lesson. Usually 2 rounds. She gets two chances to hit her spot. If she does, PC does a burpy. If she does not, she does a burpy. Up&In, Mid&In, Low&In, Up&Away, Mid&Away, Low&Away.

But, if your mechanics are not sound or at a minimum consistent, focusing on location is a losing proposition. So, those have to come first. As they come, location will naturally follow.

As @RADcatcher notes, there is an assortment of Talent Levels. Randy Johnson was 29 years old and it was a 'chance' meeting with Nolan Ryan before he finally got it. We need to keep that in mind when discussing teen agers having true command (Not just control).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Will add this,
Some coaches & instructors never take the time to pay any attention to how others teach or coach. Which can limit perspective.
(they may only listen to or watch the player, but never actually that instructor)
It can be eye opening to hear how others communicate whatever they are teaching.
Can learn what people/potential clients may have been previously influenced by.
( Not everyone comes from the same place)
To be able to speak to differences and help grow new goals.

Always recommend go watch lessons first!
Make an assesment by viewing and listening.
How a person interacts, the words used are extremely important factors in an instructor connecting communication.
Then consider what mechanics are utilized.

The best resource is our brain!
Take it everywhere! :)

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I generally work mostly on perfecting and reinforcing mechanics. I discuss location and we will practice it at the end of the lesson if there is time. The ability to locate comes with repetition and that is something that a pitcher needs to do outside of lessons. If it's a half hour lesson it's mostly mechanics, for an hour lesson there is time to 'practice' location.

Nov 18, 2015
Easy answer is that without mechanics, hitting a location is left up to chance rather than skill.

18A not hitting spots? Maybe it doesn’t matter when you throw 65+? My understanding is that a 60 mph pitch down the middle will not be a swing and miss. 70 mph down the middle may get one swing and miss per AB, but due to the increased velocity, the next pitch will be hit 10-20’ further than the 60 mph one.

Unless, of course, DIII games are played on fields with no OF fences at all, in which case, the ability to induce deep fly balls may be a recruiting strength?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2018
I’m puzzled by this whole thread. Who is working on mechanics after 14U? DD is 13 and has thrown thousands of pitches. Her muscle memory is pretty well ingrained. By the time a kid hits 15, her mechanics are either pretty sound or else she’s found another position to play.

In a typical lesson, her coach spends 80 percent of the time calling out spots to hit, and then making very small adjustments to maximize a pitch’s effectiveness. She does things like burpees when she misses more than 35% of a sequence.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD got to one of the best pitching coaches in our area.

HC was a jerk and shut DD down, maybe best P in area, which was fine if they would of told her.

Anyways ...

PC asked DD what her goals were, this year or next year?

What a great question.

DD said next year but instructor kept an eye and advice on this year too.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I’m puzzled by this whole thread. Who is working on mechanics after 14U? DD is 13 and has thrown thousands of pitches. Her muscle memory is pretty well ingrained. By the time a kid hits 15, her mechanics are either pretty sound or else she’s found another position to play.

In a typical lesson, her coach spends 80 percent of the time calling out spots to hit, and then making very small adjustments to maximize a pitch’s effectiveness. She does things like burpees when she misses more than 35% of a sequence.

Well aren't you the lucky one. Perfect mechanics at 13...damn what the heck have we been doing?

Jul 22, 2015

I've never seen any D-1 or professional pitchers who no longer work on mechanics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478