questioning head coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2019
To explain more there is some fundamentals that she is teaching that I disagree with. Still talks about "squash the bug" and has the girls fielding grounders underneath them between their legs, not out in front.

Sep 20, 2017
Sounds like youth rec ball stuff?? Just remember she is volunteering her time just as you are. Best thing you can do is spend some time with her outside of practice, ask her questions about her goals with the team, find out if she expects you to teach the same way she is. Chances are she might just have a different outlook or experience on things. Be friends, enlighten each other then next season take your own team. lol Good luck

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
To explain more there is some fundamentals that she is teaching that I disagree with. Still talks about "squash the bug" and has the girls fielding grounders underneath them between their legs, not out in front.

OK, so this is a clear case of her being objectively wrong, but maybe you can't just say that.

Regarding the fielding: Find a couple good videos that demonstrate proper fielding technique and say "Hey, I found this and it looks really good. What do you think?" It helps if the video has some good cues or drills to focus on. Check out some of the Ron Washington videos on YouTube.

Squishing the bug is tougher because most of the videos that address it are (rightfully) pretty harsh about that cue. I guess maybe find some that talk about what the rear leg does and maybe show her those. Again, don't say what she's doing is wrong. Say you'd like to add some of that to how you instruct. Present it as an addition or different way of getting through to the girls.

Or maybe the coach is just teaching what she remembers being taught and will be open to learning. I don't know her personality, but just because she's doing it wrong now doesn't mean she doesn't want to learn and do things the right way.

Apr 6, 2019
Hey guys i need some advice. how to you disagree with a head coach as an assistant coach without causing conflict?

Say, "Coach, I have a couple things I'd like to talk over after practice."

Everything stays cool and composed. Be very specific over your areas for concern and your proposals to address the problem.

Never ever criticize or dispute the head coach in front of the players (including your own kids, if applicable).

If you bring up the subject about twice and the HC appears unwilling or unable to adopt your suggestions, drop it.

If what the head coach is doing, in your opinion, is seriously damaging to the players -- and you think you have a better idea -- remove your kid from the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802