Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 19, 2015
I have a 12 year old daughter that has been taking pitching lessons for a few years now and we practice at home all the time. She recently started doing something different with her pitching that is working for her. We took her to her lessons and the instructor said she is doing front foot resistance pitching and he wants her to do what he teaches which is a different style. So my question is should we make her change to his style of pitching or find a different instructor that teaches her style? Any info would be great! Thanks!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Look at the Model pitchers thread and compare it to what your DD is doing. If she is doing it “right” find another instructor otherwise listen to them.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Hi. Are you able to attach a video of your DD (darling daughter)? I teach throwing against a firm front side. So, I can't imagine otherwise.

Oct 22, 2009
From what I'm envisioning I'm seeing front foot resistance as a slight push back and stopping of the bodies momentum at release.

And what he teaches is the "slam the door" hips? Where she is to continue to turn her body while releasing until she is in the fielders position?

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Can he state the reasons/benefits for what he teaches? What are these based on?

My DD goes to a great PC and what he teaches makes my daughter look like a professional pitcher only in a smaller body. I asked a lot of questions and he answered them all (from why she'd be less injury prone, faster, movement, finish -did he teach hello elbow?, etc...) and it all made sense to me. We also went over the "slam the door" philosophy (i.e. shoulder/hip alignment) and based on what I know and the reasons he gave as to why he doesn't teach STD made my decsion easy. (He was against it and tries to keep pitching natural but explosive)

If it were me, I'd interview a different PC.

(And a pitchers finish of standing up - square to the plate with the mitt in the air is a fielding position? ) Do other infielders stand like that too?

My daughter's young and I'm not nearly as experienced, but I agree with the previous comment. What does your daughter look like pitching compared to the model pitchers? Is what is being taught going to make your daughter look similar?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Rule #1 of functioning in modern society:

Never listen to someone describe an action. We have video for that. Words confuse things.

Post a video of your daughter and what this instructor is teaching and you will have provided the correct data to enable a correct answer.

Everything else is words.

-W

Jul 14, 2008
S-up Snuff! Since we can't use words anymore:

hello.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802