Question on warm-up for throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 20, 2008
I have a question on what are good exercises to do before throwing. I like what I see in the Jaeger throwing system. Should the players still do static stretching exercises, like behind the back and other arm stretches? I have heard that this actually injuries the muscle before throwing, not good.

Currently I have the players do about 11 of the typical dynamic exercises then move to a few arm static stretches, then throw.

In the future I would like to maintain the dynamic exercises then add the arm circles and resistive bands and finally move to throwing. Should we still do static stretching somewhere in the routine?

Thanks
Coach R

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hi Coach R,

What you are doing is already pretty good. I would subsitute the static stretching with a few upper body dynamic movements.

Basically, do arm circles (one arm at the time works better because of th bigger range of motion), then arm swings side-to-side (like flying motion), then open and close your arms like you are hugging someone or yourself (back and forth), then ben over, let the arms hang loose and do large arm circles (like a giant mixer) while bent over, and finally do trunk twists with arm extended on the side, rotate trunk from side to side.

A good added bonus - do external rotations just like you add resistance bands for the rotator cuff but with no resistance.

Hope that helps.

Marc