Question in a tag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 8, 2016
We had an interesting play. The second baseman fielded a ground ball and tagged the baserunner going from first to second. The runner was called out. Her mom is a professional photographer and has a picture that clearly shows that she is tagging the girl with her glove and has the ball in her hand pushing the glove into the runner with everything in contact. There is no direct contact between the ball and the runner.
We couldn't decide if the girl should have been called safe if the umpire had clearly seen what transpired or if the the fact glove was in contact with the runner and the ball was in contact with the glove should result in an out. We generally thought the ruling should be safe but no one really knew for sure. What is the correct call?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
I am going to say that it isn't a legal tag and the runner is safe. I have never seen an empty glove, followed by ball in throwing hand sandwich tag though.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2015
We had an interesting play. The second baseman fielded a ground ball and tagged the baserunner going from first to second. The runner was called out. Her mom is a professional photographer and has a picture that clearly shows that she is tagging the girl with her glove and has the ball in her hand pushing the glove into the runner with everything in contact. There is no direct contact between the ball and the runner.
We couldn't decide if the girl should have been called safe if the umpire had clearly seen what transpired or if the the fact glove was in contact with the runner and the ball was in contact with the glove should result in an out. We generally thought the ruling should be safe but no one really knew for sure. What is the correct call?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm saying out since both hands are together.

To call safe, you now get into "what's in the glove"? interpretations that overcomplicate the game.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
If the ball is in the glove it's an out. Unless I'm missing something that's a pretty standard play for a F4 to make.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
I'm saying out since both hands are together.

Even if this isn't correct, it should be, I think that if a player has both hands together in a position to make the tag and the ball is in one of them it should be a tag. Not sure if that is the proper interpretation of the rule though.

Jun 22, 2008
The ball has to be in the glove to be a tag or the runner actually touched with the ball.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2015
Would only be safe if the ball was in the bare hand and the hand was NOT in the glove. If the ball is in the glove it doesn't matter whether or not the bare hand is also there. In fact, if there is time then it is clearly the best way to make the tag.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
From the OP it seems that the second baseman is holding the ball in her throwing hand but rather than doing this in the glove she has the ball against the outside of the glove, and the glove is in contact with the runner. I could go either way on this, I don't know if the rules even address it.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
We had this happen on Sunday, steal attempt at 2nd - throw beat runner by 10 feet, but was in dirt, SS picked it up with bare hand, tagged runner with glove about 3 feet from base, with ball held in bare hand against the outside of the glove. PU called safe (clearly and loudly), but runner assumed she was out, jogged back to the 3rd base dugout, and was out.

Parents on all sides were confused, but PU explained his calls to both coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28