Question for Tourney Coaches letting players sub

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Pitcher's are a different story I think. They're so important and in such high demand. If you let them guest and they get invited to join that team and leave yours, it could put the other 12-14 girls on your team at risk of being without a team going forward. That's not really fair to them so I could understand a coach not wanting pitcher's to guest play. Not saying I wouldn't allow guesting if I were in their shoes, just saying I can see that side of it based on the possible ramifications.

Nope. Have to disagree.

Pitcher's are the #1 guest players out there because they are in high demand; if you as a coach are so beholden and insecure about one player that if they play for someone else there is a good chance they will leave and your team dissolves, then there is a much bigger issue with the team.

You should be operating under the knowledge that you don't own any player.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
NY
To accept that "Some coaches forbid it" is ridiculous. Who's paying who? My kids played where and when they chose, when invited, and when it worked for our family schedule.

Nov 18, 2013
Personally I’d encourage guesting but I understand why some coaches have rules again it. Nobody has mentioned what happens if a player guests at a qualifier and is rostered on multiple teams. Now that player is ineligible and if you play her at nationals you might have to forfeit. If parents would be open and talk to the coach first that could be prevented, but there’s too many that will do whatever they want it’s easier to make a blanket rule against it.

I figure it’s up to the parent to know a teams rules before they sign up. If you don’t like the rules, don’t join. It’s the coaches team and they make the rules. Parents that want it the other way around are why so many teams implode.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
Nope. Have to disagree.

Pitcher's are the #1 guest players out there because they are in high demand; if you as a coach are so beholden and insecure about one player that if they play for someone else there is a good chance they will leave and your team dissolves, then there is a much bigger issue with the team.

You should be operating under the knowledge that you don't own any player.
Don't think anyone thinks they "own" the player. Having a policy that restricts guesting is nowhere close to "owning" a player. There are several reasons why a coach would have that policy in place that make sense if you're able to open your mind beyond ownership of a human being. My comment about a pitcher leaving causing the team to dissolve is about numbers, not issues with the team. If you are thin at pitcher and one leaves, it could leave you in a tenuous position from a numbers standpoint.

Oct 4, 2018
This is a sore subject for me.

We joined a team last year with all intentions of picking up a lot with other teams. I didn't in my wildest dreams think a coach would "outlaw" that. I'm a man of my word -- we say we're on your team for the year, we're on your team for the year.

We already had several open invites to leave. We were committed to our team and just wanted more reps. We honored the coach's wishes but it never sat well with me. Sucks that we couldn't be trusted. However, I didn't ask specifically before accepting the offer. And we would have joined this team anyway. But still, would be nice to be trusted and my DD to have more fun.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
This is a sore subject for me.

We joined a team last year with all intentions of picking up a lot with other teams. I didn't in my wildest dreams think a coach would "outlaw" that. I'm a man of my word -- we say we're on your team for the year, we're on your team for the year.

We already had several open invites to leave. We were committed to our team and just wanted more reps. We honored the coach's wishes but it never sat well with me. Sucks that we couldn't be trusted. However, I didn't ask specifically before accepting the offer. And we would have joined this team anyway. But still, would be nice to be trusted and my DD to have more fun.

Joining a team doesn't give a coach a monopoly on your kid's time unless you agree to that up front. You don't miss practices or (God forbid) games to guest with another team, but what you do on your own time is your own business. Remaining loyal to a team and getting some extra playing time isn't mutually exclusive.

Aug 8, 2016
As a coach, I have never said no to a player picking up for another team. I do get annoyed if I find out about it through other sources, but that is just more of a courtesy thing. But with that being said, doing a little mental math of all of the kids who have picked up for other teams in the last three seasons, 75% of them ended up leaving at the end of the season, though only 1 went to a team they had picked up with (and I didn't count kids that were aging out). However, I would still not get in the way of a player getting extra reps.

Also of note, I would have to say that players playing for other teams is probably my number 2 or 3 source of drama/headaches during a season. Especially when they miss practices for it.

Apr 26, 2019
How would y'all feel if the coach's DD fairly regularly guest played with other teams but she/he discouraged other players from doing it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2