Question for Tourney Coaches letting players sub

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Turl

Loves to watch slappers in action!
May 4, 2015
Central Iowa
Question for Coaches on their pitchers or catchers sub . . .
If your tournament team is going to be off for a couple weekends, how do you coaches feel about letting your pitchers or catchers sub for another team that "is" playing one of those weekends?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I'm not a coach, but we've had a range of experiences. Some coaches encourage the girls to pick up when the team is off in order to get more reps. Some forbid picking up, usually with the explanation that they "might get hurt," but often with the real reason being that they're afraid their pitcher/catcher might get poached by the other coach to jump ship.

May 6, 2015
Interesting, one organization DD considereed for this coming year (she ended up going elsewhere, her call, but it was close, and this org was in lead (her words) right up to the last minute), allowed and encouraged their players to guest, but would not use external guest players. they said they would rather pull someone up from a younger age group in their org (so kinda a guest, but from same org) than bring in someone outside the org. DD liked that.

as to the question depends on workload they have outside of tourneys. DD looks forward to off days/weekends (rare to get entire weekend off). between her school fall sport (FH), sofball practice or games 3-4 nights, catching a pitching lesson or going to hitting lesson one night a week, homework, her schedule is about full. she enjoys weekend days off to spend with her school friends (who either are not athletes or play for different travel teams). she is actually loving schedule so far this fall, no games earlier than 10AM nothing ending later than 5, she has been able to spend afternoons, have sleepovers, etc. I know some girls want to play play play, but here team has really aggresive schedule this fall, and she knows it will continue in spring (HC indicated they would likely play over 100 game between fall and spring, 10 games already, looks like about 24 more or so for rest of fall)

Last edited:
May 31, 2018
Allen TX
Our team does not have a specific rule against "guest" playing as long as the athlete meets any team commitments first. We play a very intense schedule, and our off weekends are specifically built for practice and some rest.

Feb 14, 2019
If your tournament team is going to be off for a couple weekends, how do you coaches feel about letting your pitchers or catchers sub for another team that "is" playing one of those weekends?
I've never had a problem letting any of my players pick up on an off weekend (regardless of position). Heck, I generally encourage them to seek out opportunities to get reps in or to play positions that they might not get to on our team. I've never fully understood or agreed with those coaches who absolutely forbid it.

The most common excuse I've heard is they're afraid someone will get injured picking up. Sure, there is a possibility they could get hurt playing with another team but there's just as much a chance they could get hurt playing school ball and I'd never stop someone from doing that...Not to mention that just getting out of bed every day creates infinite opportunities to get hurt in your daily life.

Personally, I think most are afraid if their players pick up with another team they will lose them at some point. If you're afraid your players might jump ship if exposed to another team/coaching style, maybe you should take a hard look at what you're doing that would make someone want to leave. Players will come and go, it's inevitable. As long as everyone is upfront and honest about things there shouldn't be any hard feelings; it's just a game!

May 1, 2018
I have no problems with it. Just let me know, so I know they will not be at practice. If a player decides to leave after playing with another team, you didn't really have them anyways.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Only insecure coaches don't let their players guest for other teams.

There are a few exceptions (player returning off injury for example) but not many. Playing the game is fun - go out and have some fun.

Frankly guesting on most other teams makes our players appreciate our team all the more. And promotes how good our team is to play for. And gives easy access to guest players if we happen to need one.

All we ever ask is that if you are going to guest, let us know.

Mar 28, 2014
Only insecure coaches don't let their players guest for other teams.

Pitcher's are a different story I think. They're so important and in such high demand. If you let them guest and they get invited to join that team and leave yours, it could put the other 12-14 girls on your team at risk of being without a team going forward. That's not really fair to them so I could understand a coach not wanting pitcher's to guest play. Not saying I wouldn't allow guesting if I were in their shoes, just saying I can see that side of it based on the possible ramifications.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28