Question for the high school parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
We’re new to HS softball this year and already don’t like the coach.
The first thing was trying to find out when open workouts were, he never got back to me and my dd ended up getting the info from a friend. The second is/was he changes times at the last minute, the first time he did this was 10 minutes before practice when we were already there, second time was 45 minutes before practice( he bumped the time up) both were instances where he knew we’ll ahead of time. 3rd was he said everyone had to wear a school or certain color shirt to practice, my dd doesn’t have a school shirt yet so she wore the right color shirt but from her tb team, he told her she needed to stop wearing it and to wear a school shirt. 4th was they were scrimmaging and he put my dd in a spot she’s not played in over a year, so after the inning he was walking next to her and she said I forgot how to play there, so he makes a snide remark and said do you know how to play softball? H which irritated my DD because she said he’s the one that is supposed to be coaching positions.

As a parent how do/did you guys handle bad/dumb coaches? In TB you can just find a new team after the season, you can’t really do that in school ball.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
As a parent how do/did you guys handle bad/dumb coaches? In TB you can just find a new team after the season, you can’t really do that in school ball.

As a player, you figure out how to play for them. As a parent, you let your player figure out how to play for them.

She's going to have great and terrible teachers, professors, coaches and bosses.

May 17, 2012
Asking players to not wear TB shirts to practice is not unreasonable.

It also doesn't seem unreasonable to ask your DD to play another position. Unless he is asking her to P or C and she hasn't done that before what's the problem?

Somewhere on the internet there is a High School softball coach posting about how to handle new unreasonable parents.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The coach shouldn't have made the wise comment about remembering how to play softball. If I asked one of my students if they forgot how to do calculus everytime one of them fumbled over it in one of my classes which requires knowledge of it, I would probably be having a meeting with my Dean eventually...

Aug 6, 2013
Your kid has to lead this process and you need to take a step back. It's hard but like stated above this won't be the first challenge she will face. As far as the school shirt - heck the Walmart or grocery stores around us sell the local school spirit wear, take her there and get a shirt.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
The coach shouldn't have made the wise comment about remembering how to play softball. If I asked one of my students if they forgot how to do calculus everytime one of them fumbled over it in one of my classes which requires knowledge of it, I would probably be having a meeting with my Dean eventually...

Yes, I agree, definitely inappropriate.

Though, my brother literally texted me this last night:
"Coach Atkins talked to me after I gave up a wind blown HR to Brian Buchanan (like 330 ft) and asked me if I still wanted to be a D1 pitcher. On the mound"

Mar 4, 2015
New England
In TB you can just find a new team after the season, you can’t really do that in school ball.

In TB you can just find a new team after the season that is best for ME. You can’t really do that in school ball. You have to sacrifice and do what’s best for the TEAM.

IMHO, complaining about having to play an unfamiliar position or having to wear a school shirt to practice is unnecessary negative energy that's not what’s best for the team. If your DD knows you don't like the coach, that's also unnecessary negative energy that's not best for the team.

I'm not saying you should like the coach. Communication and organization issues are points well-taken. HS softball is full of coaches that TB parents can't stand. But HS softball is also full of bad attitudes from parents and players who are 'spoiled' by travel ball and don't know what it really means to do what's best for the team.

Jun 11, 2012
Once they reach high school age parents need to take a step back & let the kids deal with schedules & coaches etc. it’s not easy but she needs to navigate on her own, especially if she wants to play in college.
As for playing a different position perhaps her approach should be telling the coach she hasn’t played there in a while as opposed to saying she forgot how to play there. I’m not saying the coach’s comment was ok but a different approach showing willingness to play where ever she’s needed will go a long way.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes, I agree, definitely inappropriate.

Though, my brother literally texted me this last night:
"Coach Atkins talked to me after I gave up a wind blown HR to Brian Buchanan (like 330 ft) and asked me if I still wanted to be a D1 pitcher. On the mound"
Lol..what did he say? 🤣

The young lady should have approached that situation differently but the key word there is "young". She made a mistake in her reaction to her situation..sounds like a teachable moment vs. throwing out a wiseass comment. Believe me throwing those out there is very tempting for me..like 10 times a day in my classes..That is why I try and get them out of my system on here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478