Question for parents of college students

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2019
If we are giving out a cash award of $500 to a student, what does that do for them? Will it buy books/materials for a semester? Will it do any more?
Thanks!

Feb 8, 2019
Thanks! This is great news. When we give out one award, its for $1000, but this year we have a 3-way tie, and we have been upfront that in case of a tie, those candidates will each receive $500. I just didnt know if $500 makes a dent.
Thank you!

Jun 11, 2012
Thanks! This is great news. When we give out one award, its for $1000, but this year we have a 3-way tie, and we have been upfront that in case of a tie, those candidates will each receive $500. I just didnt know if $500 makes a dent.
Thank you!
Anything makes a dent. We pay tuition but she’s on her own for books and any spending money. Having books covered (or mostly covered) is a big help

Nov 18, 2013
If we are giving out a cash award of $500 to a student, what does that do for them? Will it buy books/materials for a semester? Will it do any more?
Thanks!

Are you making sure the players report it to their schools? This could possibly count against a schools allotted scholarships. Probably perfectly fine, but they’ll want to check. The old no good deed goes unpunished thing.

May 29, 2015
Books at best ... depending on the program the students are in and how they shop for books, it may not even cover that.

As was said, every bit helps though!

Feb 8, 2019
Are you making sure the players report it to their schools? This could possibly count against a schools allotted scholarships. Probably perfectly fine, but they’ll want to check. The old no good deed goes unpunished thing.
You bring up a good point. While we are new at this, my thought is it should not be called a “scholarship” as it is really more of a gift. A one-time cash award, payable to the player or their family. Currently not being awarded to anyone with an athletic scholarship, may not even be awarded to someone playing a college sport, (one of this years recipients is not a softball player) the recipient will most likely be receiving financial help in the form of academic scholarships from other sources.
I dont want this to interfere with the scholarship process or financial aid that a student has to deal with every year.
Do you have any idea as to a better way to handle this?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23