question for coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
I wouldn't hold it against her. However, if you aren't really committed to a team you are going to experience some resentment from other players.

seems to not have been an issue so far. and of the one game she missed, and one of the two others she will miss, was not for TB, but school function that caused several of the girls (most all go to same school) to miss as well, HC played with pool players. and she sits an inning or two a game just like everyone else.

I think it is clear to other girls though that DD and #1 pitcher and one other player play at a different level. but they do not hold themselves out as better, Dd in particular tries to be a leader, is very vocal and encouraging (Hc jokes she gives him headache in the dugout ;) to all the girls, she wants them to improve (somewhat selfishly, she wants to win!)

Jul 14, 2018
RIck, not saying I disagree, but just not clear on your "opposite".
I was just wondering about other coaches reactions to a player asking for a game off from a particular position.

I just meant that your question about 'holding it against' a player who didn't want to catch in a rec game sounds like a stretch. In the 'Travel is Killing Rec' thread and many like it, there is so much concern that the best players move on from the Rec program as soon as they have any level of skill, which does indeed hurt the program.

We keep the travel girls coming back to Rec in our area by keeping it fun and letting them play wherever they want. In other words, we end warmups by asking where the girls want to play, not telling them where they're going to play.

Do we have five-run innings because of passed balls? We sure do. Then everyone in the dugout razzes the girl who couldn't hold a ball in a catcher's mitt and we all go get ice cream.

Jul 14, 2018
Just to add some flair to the discussion about playing TB players in different positions in rec ball; I play a left-handed TB 1B/OF at shortstop, and a TB 3B in CF, and a TB OF at catcher. So far, so good.

We did this just last week -- put lefties at third and short. Good times!

May 6, 2015
I just meant that your question about 'holding it against' a player who didn't want to catch in a rec game sounds like a stretch. In the 'Travel is Killing Rec' thread and many like it, there is so much concern that the best players move on from the Rec program as soon as they have any level of skill, which does indeed hurt the program.

We keep the travel girls coming back to Rec in our area by keeping it fun and letting them play wherever they want. In other words, we end warmups by asking where the girls want to play, not telling them where they're going to play.

Do we have five-run innings because of passed balls? We sure do. Then everyone in the dugout razzes the girl who couldn't hold a ball in a catcher's mitt and we all go get ice cream.

I guess I had a different perspective (not that either is wrong, just different), DW and I have taught her not to ask to play particular spots (if asked of course something else), ever, this goes back to when I was her rec coach. she plays where coach needs her to, including bench.

am afraid if anyone razzed any of these girls about PBs, errors, etc. they would take it wrong, and be pretty resentful. and DD could not do that nicely, too competitive, she likes to win (hence why she tries to help other girls improve). so she has learned from Thumper, holds her tongue well when frustrated, or simply tells girls to shake it off, get ready for next one.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
rec league game, 12u

what would be your reaction to one of the catchers (clearly top catcher, but it is rec so the two catchers split time) asking coach to not catch one night? not feeling great, allergies killing her, coughing some? do you hold that against her next game. DD has already missed one game entirely (school concert), will miss one this week (TB game), and one next week (school play)? she batted, played I think 3 innings in field.

does anyone take the stance you either play or you don't, no special requests? really just did not feel up to catching that night.

I ask, because other catcher seemed upset that DD got to play but could opt out of catching (for what it is worth, if coach wanted her to catch every inning of every game, she would, not like TB with multiple games).
It's rec ball if she doesn't feel up to cacthing one night, fine I'll put someone else back there and play her somewhere else. No big deal. If it's a regular occurance I probably have a converstation with he about why she doesn't want to catch.
Mind you I wouldn't let he pick her non-C position, just it would be somewhere else that I chose.

And yes Rec ball sometimes is low on the totem poll of events in a kids life, if they have to miss a game for various other functions that's all part of the deal in coaching a rec softball team and I don't hold it against the kid at future games.

Nov 18, 2015
rec league game, 12u

what would be your reaction to one of the catchers (clearly top catcher, but it is rec so the two catchers split time) asking coach to not catch one night? not feeling great, allergies killing her, coughing some? do you hold that against her next game. [...]

does anyone take the stance you either play or you don't, no special requests? really just did not feel up to catching that night.

I ask, because other catcher seemed upset that DD got to play but could opt out of catching (for what it is worth, if coach wanted her to catch every inning of every game, she would, not like TB with multiple games).

[Edited original reply - which implied that I thought I was the only one reading the bolded part above, which, as I re-read the thread right after posting, was clearly not the case. And I wonder why some of the hitting threads can get so heated?]

If a player isn't feeling well (and while allergies are a nuisance to many, they can be debilitating at times to many), why make her more miserable?

"Coach - I haven't been able to breath through my nose for the past two days, I'm so congested I feel like I can only hear out of one ear, and my eyes are so red and watery strangers are stopping me on the street and saying their sorry for my loss. Can I play somewhere else tonight?"

"No. We really need to win tonight - here, put this catchers mask on, it'll help block the pollen..."

I'd be more concerned about catcher #2's reaction - she apparently doesn't enjoy being back there at all, which might explain the PB's. It's time to start developing a catcher #3.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
I'd be more concerned about catcher #2's reaction - she apparently doesn't enjoy being back there at all, which might explain the PB's. It's time to start developing a catcher #3.

catcher #2 says they want to catch. catcher option 3 and 4 are marginally worse options. think it was mostly it was the first really warm night we had a game here, catcher #2 got hot and might not have been great communication why DD was not catching. DD truly was miserable, wishing for rainout, but perked up as game progressed though (I think part of it was dehydration, DW got her started on over hydrating if that is a thing as soon as she picked her up from school).

Jul 14, 2018
am afraid if anyone razzed any of these girls about PBs, errors, etc. they would take it wrong, and be pretty resentful.

I can see that. We have a pretty special group of girls who have been playing together for seven years, and they've elevated the dugout Burn to an art form. There are, however, two or three girls who would not take kindly to being made fun of for an error (less experienced girls who haven't learned that it's just part of the game). They are exempt from teammate torchings.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
rec league game, 12u

what would be your reaction to one of the catchers (clearly top catcher, but it is rec so the two catchers split time) asking coach to not catch one night? not feeling great, allergies killing her, coughing some? do you hold that against her next game. DD has already missed one game entirely (school concert), will miss one this week (TB game), and one next week (school play)? she batted, played I think 3 innings in field.

I don't really consider being not healthy enough to catch (which is different than any other position) to be "opting out" of playing. I'm thinking of my starting catcher right now. If she came to me with this, I'd believe her and I wouldn't make her catch. Because she's one of our better hitters, I'd ask her if she's feeling well enough to play right field (her original position). If she could do that, she'd play. Otherwise, she'd sit. I know her, and I know if she's coming to me it's real. She's the type to want to play every inning. I would not hold this against her in any way.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
To me, catcher is a position you have to love to play it well. So I wouldn't force anyone to go back there.

In the OP's case his daughter obviously enjoys catching but didn't feel up to it that night. I would personally thank her for her honesty and put someone else back there. A kid who works her butt off the rest of the time but is unable to go one night should be able to take the night off from catching. Better for her, and really better for the team. Let her play a position that's less physically taxing (same with pitcher, by the way).

If she can't play another field position, then stay in and cheer for your teammates. As someone else said, no need to be miserable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802