Question for ASA...why South Dakota...or Midland, or Moline, or Bloomington......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
Anybody able to find list of teams attending the ASA 12u nationals in Moline, ILL? We can see how many of the teams are going to ASA vs. PGF, and whom is going to both(if any)?

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Then I guess you should include the NCAA and the IOC, Little League and probably quite a few other sports organizations in that group since that is how they determine many of their venues. As previously noted, there are tournaments that do not receive bids for which ASA does try to find a bid.

Little League I could see a comparison...No offense intended MTR but the others are like comparing apples and watermelons

That is true and just how much do you think the expenses and fees for tournaments would rise if ASA becomes the shopper?

From my business experience (where I do actually work despite my love of this site), I can tell you from having to solicit business myself that if this raises costs significantly then the organization if not managing it properly or the product is flawed... I do not think the product is flawed in anyway. On that we would have to agree to disagree...

So.....what are you waiting for? Contact your local government, get the CoC involved and see what you can accommodate. Most people just sit back and bitch because everything isn't just handed to them in a nice package with a ribbon. You admittedly are in a place which can accommodate and thrive from hosting something like this. There are plenty of models in your community, but then they would also be your competition. But what do you have to lose? Get a couple people involved, get a copy of the bid requirements and form from your commissioner and see if it can work for your community. At least, you are trying to do something other than sit back and wait for the next guy to pick up the ball.

Thanks for the idea...I will begin working on this as it would be SUPER COOL to see some awesome youth Softball here in my own community. As I was not the person who posted this but now know how it is done I will look into it and see how I can help my Parks and Rec crew make it happen. We would love it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Little League I could see a comparison...No offense intended MTR but the others are like comparing apples and watermelons

I don't think so. In the NCAA, regardless of the sport, the school must bid for tournaments, provide guarantees and meet all the standards set forth for that particular sport. If a school doesn't meet the standards or make a viable bid, they could be undefeated and teh #1 team in the country and they don't get those games. Actually, I believe it was noted in the softball regionals this year that a winning school did not qualify for or offer a bid so they played the next round at the lower-seed's location.

The IOC is more of a political game where private negotiations go farther then the open bids, but the cities must still elect to bid, the IOC doesn't come looking for them.

From my business experience (where I do actually work despite my love of this site), I can tell you from having to solicit business myself that if this raises costs significantly then the organization if not managing it properly or the product is flawed... I do not think the product is flawed in anyway. On that we would have to agree to disagree.

Did you ever notice at an auction how the bids go up when someone is seeking to attain an item or event? Depends on what and if you are buying and/or selling, I guess. As it is, ASA has a guarantee of placement of a minimum of one USA/ASA tournament in variable areas just so certain areas are not excluded year in and year out. This actually helps CA. People in CA used to complain that there were not enough NCs in their state. What they didn't want to hear is that very few towns/cities were seeking the tournaments.

Would you rather have a tournament where the folks wanted you to come and take care of you, or someplace where it is just folded into the local schedule as another weekend event? I guess it is all in the parent's priorities.

Thanks for the idea...I will begin working on this as it would be SUPER COOL to see some awesome youth Softball here in my own community. As I was not the person who posted this but now know how it is done I will look into it and see how I can help my Parks and Rec crew make it happen. We would love it.

Good luck. Hope you succeed.

May 11, 2009
IMHO if you are willing to make the financial commitment to pay for travel ball all year for several years and your team is good and you want to see just how good you will take them where ever you need to to play against the best teams. So if that is in Moline, IA or South Dakota so be it. If the best teams are there then go play. If the best teams are playing in California then great go play there. Bottom line is that we have all been paying to play for years so go play. You can find something fun to do in any city you go to you just might have to think outside of the box. :)

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
We live in the northeast. DD attended the PONY Regionals in Cary, NC with her 14U team last and will again this year.

This post is not about the competition - ASA and PGF will certainly have a much stronger field.

What the Cary, NC area does is open up their facilities (which were just lovely), the local Chamber works with the PONY folks to supply hotel rooms, and RDU Airport is 10 minutes away. Flights in and out (if you don't want to drive) run on schedule., As the Reserach Triangle Area is growing, many of the hotels and restaurants are very new.

As a team, the experience of the event (sign-in, game assignments, hotels, dining, activities, fields) really was painless. As a parent, this is the large tournament experience we were looking for.

DD's team is registered to play in the PGF Qualifier. The kids will be playing teams in the event they may not otherwise see. It's a great experience to get the chance to play at this level.

Dec 11, 2010
I can tell you that list includes none of the local teams that I would expect to be there so it must be incomplete.

Mar 11, 2009
Westwind which list the ASA list? ASA Tourney director told me it should start filling up real fast in next two weeks or so...We will see how many Cali teams go to ASA....To me if all the top Cali teams play only PGF then the PGF and ASA is almost like the Pac 12 and SEC, lol!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
A lot of the 16u teams I'm friends with that won berths at 16u nationals are scoffing at going to Alabama to play. Some are still on the fence, but many have decided to either do Premier or just go to Western Nationals instead.

-W

Dec 11, 2010
I just looked at the list on the official ASA website that Tmolina posted a link for.

No matter what you think of ASA vs. USSSA the trip website is much better, I think ASA should make that a priority to improve.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812