Question about team winning a free entry - who gets it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2019
USA
Our team last year (2018/2019) consisted of two age groups. At the start of the 2019/2020 season, the team split into a 10u team and a 12u team.
The original TEAM is the 12u team - but the original COACH created a 10u team.

The original team was the champions of the 10u bracket of a local (unsanctioned, charity) tournament, winning free entry into the tournament the next year.

So my question is - does the free entry stay with the team (original team), or would it stay with the coach (original team's old head coach)?

Nov 18, 2015
Since it's an unsanctioned tournament, I imagine the free entry stays with whomever the organization says it stays with. If this is an independent team, with no league/organizational affiliation - flip a coin.

If this looks like it will turn into a bigger issue, or there's already been multiple discussions / meetings / email threads on the topic - find a new team, b/c neither will likely be around come the spring.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
These are the rules that PGF uses...
PGF said:
Returning Berths are attached to the PGF National Championship Designated Head Coach of the previous year. The Designated Head Coach will be identified as the person listed as such, on the previous year's PGF National Championship Official Roster. This Official Championship Roster will be your official team roster that you present to a tournament official at check-in before participating in the previous year's Championship.

The designated Head Coach must actually be the "active" Head Coach of the current team. The Head Coach may not be listed by name only in order to retain a returning berth.

Example: The designated Head Coach earns a berth in the 14U division of the 2018 National Championships. In 2019, he/she moves their team up to the 16U division. He/She is now listed as the active Head Coach of a 14U & 16U team, but actually only actively coaches the 16U team. The 14U team is coached by a completely different staff, but lists the former coach as their active Head Coach in order to retain the previously berth earned.

Result: The 2019 14U Head Coach would not be able to retain his/her berth, since he/she moved up a division. PGF would not honor the 14U returning berth once it is established that the former Head Coach no longer is actively coaching the current 2019 14U team.

The PGF National Advisory Board reserves the right to define "active" in whatever way they determine it to fall within the integrity of the rule. Any and all decisions regarding this rule will be at the sole discretion of the PGF National Advisory Board.

Returning berths are only valid for that age division. The Designated Head Coach may not bring the berth to an upper or lower division and may not assign the berth to another coach within their organization. If the Designated Head Coach leaves the organization from which they earned the respective berth for another organization said berth will follow and be retained by that Head Coach at the new organization.

All that said, in an unsanctioned event, the rules are whatever the Tournament Director decides.

Jul 3, 2019
USA
We haven't had any discussions about it yet. We are starting to put our spring schedule together and we plan on doing the charity tournament again, and that's when the free entry came up! I didn't know if there was an unwritten rule about it.
I like the each pay half idea - I will bring that up if we run into any issues! Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802