Question about stride, front foot flying open

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2013
DD striding to toe, looks in a great position. But as the heel meets the ground everything kind of just "flys open". Trying to get her to just stride to her foot but she doesn't "feel" herself doing it.

I think it has a bit to do with letting the ball travel more. She sees a lot more velocity than she is used to and she is much quicker than she realizes. This issue makes her extremely vulnerable to anything off speed and the outer half of the plate.

I have done every drill in the book. BP swings look great. In the games, She looks like babe ruth up to the point of her front toe landing.. Then everything just goes awry when the heel drops. Of course the coach keeps telling her to "keep her shoulder in" not really looking for a root cause.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
DD striding to toe, looks in a great position. But as the heel meets the ground everything kind of just "flys open". Trying to get her to just stride to her foot but she doesn't "feel" herself doing it.

I think it has a bit to do with letting the ball travel more. She sees a lot more velocity than she is used to and she is much quicker than she realizes. This issue makes her extremely vulnerable to anything off speed and the outer half of the plate.

I have done every drill in the book. BP swings look great. In the games, She looks like babe ruth up to the point of her front toe landing.. Then everything just goes awry when the heel drops. Of course the coach keeps telling her to "keep her shoulder in" not really looking for a root cause.
If it's anything similar to this I wouldn't worry about it. I would record her during a live at bat with the pitcher in the frame to see if everything else is looking good. Gather on time, loading on time, and launching on time.
a05b2578dfbb34c8b99b04ced6d8511c.gif

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I recommend reconsidering a goal of keeping the lead foot closed into heel plant.

Once you realize that objective with a hitter, it can be difficult to undo the damage.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
YOur DD probably has a timing issue not a front shoulder issue. The upper torso kinda resist the lower torso. (X factor) And then releases. If she is turning the torso as one big piece (hips and shoulders together with no X factor then maybe she has a sequence/swing problem. I think it timing.

"But as the heel meets the ground everything kind of just "flys open""

THis ^^^^^ sounds like a good feeling to have.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Front shoulder can be controlled by having good stretch of the hands during stride. Front foot opening slightly before foot down is result of lower body/hips beginning to fire. I would focus stretch during the stride. JMO

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Front shoulder can be controlled by having good stretch of the hands during stride. Front foot opening slightly before foot down is result of lower body/hips beginning to fire. I would focus stretch during the stride. JMO

Can I get you to describe what a "good stretch of the hands" is? Perhaps outline the body segments that the stretch is between.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802