Question about recruiting per class

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2018
I know all school are different. But is there a ballpark or average number of athletes that a college will recruit per class? Just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 5, 2014
I know all school are different. But is there a ballpark or average number of athletes that a college will recruit per class? Just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It really is all over the map based on team needs each year. I have seen everything from 2-8. If I had to give an average of what I have seen is 4-5 but big caveat the additional year of eligibility given to all athletes last spring plus the rise in the transfer portal is likely to have a negative impact on that number for the next few years at a minimum and it will only be worse if another year is granted for this spring as has been speculated.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Short answer is no. You can go online right now, look at rosters and do the math. Every school is different. I have seen some schools bringing in 15 while another brought in 4.

Apr 28, 2014
Short answer is no. You can go online right now, look at rosters and do the math. Every school is different. I have seen some schools bringing in 15 while another brought in 4.
Yes!
Look at the number of upperclasswomen and you can get a ballpark idea. That said you need to consider the impact of the portal and to the points above any players that are taking advantage of the extra eligibility due to covid.

Aug 29, 2015
Midwest
I agree, the best way is to just look at the roster and see how many from each class. From what I've seen some coaches do bring in many more freshman. While I agree this CAN mean bad things, do your homework on the team because sometimes thats not the whole story. These days coaches move around as much as players, and we have run into several situations where new or 2nd year coaches are "cycling out" the old coaches players and bringing in players that fit their "box". This can cause many more younger players to appear on a roster, or many more tranfers on the roster, and may not indicate the longer term roster plan for that coach.

Dec 11, 2010
I'm glad you are looking at this, most people aren't that forward thinking.

Also look at historical stats and look at who plays.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802