Question about multiple pitching rubbers on the field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 13, 2017
Our local rec fields have multiple pitching rubbers on them; 35', 40' and 43'. Even the middle school field. This drives me crazy. I get it for the rec field, although I still think it is a hazard, but why have the other ones on the middle school field. We do have the issue where the school owns the field but the park maintains it.

Is this a normal configuration? None of the tournaments fields we have played on for travel ball have this issue.

I'm tempted to volunteer to help with field prep and then dig up the extra rubbers, but I'm afraid it will tip me over into the crazy parent arena. I could put them back, after the middle school season....

May 27, 2013
Not sure why fields like this don’t just switch over to the rubbers that can be slid out of a metal anchor and plugs just put in to keep their place when not in use. Seems much safer than keeping the rubbers in place all the time to get roughed up or cause a potential injury.

Feb 17, 2014
Seems kinda nuts. How many times have you seen pitchers using the 40' & 43' pitch into the rubbers in the front of them?

Imagine pitching from 43', striding over the 40' rubber and your drag leg hitting it.

May 2, 2019
Our fields do not have this but we have played at fields that have it. It will take an injury and a lawsuit for them to change it. It's a hazard and there are affordable easy fixes (i.e. plugs) to eliminate this.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I kind of understood 1 plate for school fields, not sure why a field would have more then 1 permanent plate.

DD's old MS field had a permanent plate at 40'. They stopped using it and used "our" fields, park district lined the field and had no trouble putting a temporary plate at 40' for,school games.

I asked HC if he could remove the permanent plate from the old field. He made 2 phone calls on Monday, a backhoe showed up sometime during the week, no more permanent plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom