Queen of the Hill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Save your money and buy a good o'l fashioned pitching plate for $20-30 and work on overlap and leg drive mechanics. In general, you don't need any "gimmicks" or tools to pitch well. It takes proper mechanics and lots and lots of practice.
While your opinion is valid, your only 1/2 right here. This tool is getting the student to feel the correct sequence. It is not supposed to replace a PC or lessons. It does however get the kid to understand what "proper mechanics" is supposed to feel like a whole lot quicker! Its not unlike a rev-fire showing your spin rates based off of different grips and adjustments... Its not a gimmick, it just shortened the learning curve by an ton of time. That what this tool does for drive mechanics.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Dittoing riseball's input. Most folks can throw 95% speed-wise by just walking into the pitch. A good drive adds that extra 5% AND puts the pitcher 2-3 feet closer which adds 3-4.5 MPH in perceived reaction time. The keys are the posture, FSR and arm mechanics at release. This gadget does little to promote good whip, FSR or posture.

From what I can tell, the beauty of this gadget is that is provides immediate feedback on the power of the drive foot strike, which can add to the efficiency of a pitcher with good FSR, whip and posture at release. Slow motion video and a speed gun can do the same, but I really think this gadget has some potential to help a PC and pitcher squeeze out that extra umph that the Power Drive fails at. With the right instruction and the cash to spare, I'm thinking this gadget has some potential.

Hoping that QueenoftheHill is a student more than a sales person and is willing to take the above input and use it to refine the sales pitch to improve the outcome of the consumers who buy this product. (And maybe someday I'll learn how to avoid run on sentences...)

The owners name is Rich. He came to the Louisville clinic with Rick and I last month. He took extensive notes and videos. Every now and then we'd catch him off to the side performing I/R drills on his own as he was trying figure it out. He and I have spoken several times as he is full of questions. We are also planning a clinic for this fall in Ft. Wayne Indiana... So I'd say yes, he's definitely a student

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I understand skepticism on toys you buy them in hopes that they will help create more awareness in the student. Some do and some don't. I've only had the Queen of the Hill for one day before I hand it off to the college team that bought it. It helped create a better awareness on how to push back away from the mound for one student and I could see the same muscle fire up immediately after when she threw without it. A second student had trouble getting the click, so she became awareness that she wasn't leaning and pushing back but standing up to try and push. She didn't necessarily correct it in the lesson but I'm hoping the next time she will get closer.

The college team uses it as another mound. When there are limited catchers there's an extra pitcher, 2 of the pitchers are throwing to 1 catcher. In between pitches they do a pitch on the QofH and then a pitch to the catcher. One of the pitchers COM is really upright so she's starting to get a better lean and drive over the toe.

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
Every one of my girls who had drive issues with not getting into the proper sprinters position to start have all improved quite a bit using it. Several of them have hit all time highs as a result as well. I’ve had mine for a month or so I guess and use it every girl, every lesson. I do suggest doing what I done here so it isn’t as awkward to use.
779ae4a1f4a1b537ab0b9ad0ba53538c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
In this case, this is one of those rare gadgets can aid proper instruction. This gadget isn’t a magical device, but used properly, it can have magical results.

The next magical gadget I’m hoping for is one that measures whip efficiency.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I took it to a facility yesterday so we could work full distance and have a catcher there. (As most of you know my basement cage is short)
All 4 students used it. All 4 got average speeds of 1-2 mph higher when using it or using it correctly. J for example, was throwing an average of 50-51... But wasn't getting it to click properly. We stopped, did a few drive drills, (sprinters split jumps- lunges- 2 steps- and FFG) all of these promote a more sequenced and powerful thrust. She got back on the QofH and proceeded to get double clicks easily. I turned up the tension to challenge her. She's now at a 7 when she previously struggled at a 4... her speeds then averaged 53-54 and proceeded to match her all time high of 55 twice. ( She hit 55 once a couple weeks ago)
This tool is not a magic wand! It is however the best tool in getting the student to feel what her drive should be like consistently. The 2 clicks are affirmation. And it'll quickly become a game how high they can set the tension

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've re-opened this thread, but let's be sure it doesn't become an advertisement. Share your questions and experiences, but avoid the temptation to out-and-out promote it. Just like with any other topic here. Thanks.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
James,

You can finally treat your clinicians to an extra small twist cone at the local Tastee Freeze. You know, the famous one just up the block in Seymour, IN. :D

Chris

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28