Putting it all together...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
I coach a 10u rec team who could probably be a pretty solid B team in the travel ball world (which is our goal). We were extremely behind when we started, and I don't feel like they caught on nearly as quickly as I had hoped. As we are going into our second year, It is kind of like all the resources are there, but nothing is "clicking." They want to win, but they haven't learned how to be aggressive. Sometimes I wonder if me, not holding them accountable enough for getting better (trying to keep it fun and lighthearted), I've made competition situations in practice, we play games that they generally give 100% in. They are just missing a confidence and work ethic I feel like no matter what I say or do they have to find themselves. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

May 6, 2015
Preach to them that at first they will fail during games, but to make certain they do so spectacularly ("fail spectacularly" is one of my mantras). Go for that diving catch, even if it means ball might get through. tell them to get that lead runner, even if 1B might be surer thing. tell the P to go at the batter, do not fear a hit fear the walk. And then walk the walk, when they go for the diving catch and miss, even if it gives up three runs, praise the effort (while also exhorting them to get up and go get the ball to get it in). tell the P it is OK they gave up the 3 runs shot, they were aggressive. 10U is not about winning, it is about development. Worry about developing B level players, not trying to compete as a team at B level, and the latter will follow naturally.

those coaches who win at 10u by always having girls keep it in front, telling them to get it to pitcher to avoid OT when there are chances to make outs, who have them taking a lot at plate hoping for walks might win at 10u B, but they are not developing B players.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
They are just missing a confidence and work ethic I feel like no matter what I say or do they have to find themselves. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!!
As bmakj said 10u is about development. Help them become great players and the wins will take care of themselves. It may not happen right away, it may take years, not weeks or months, but if they keep getting better they will eventually be great.

Also, this is 10u. Almost no 10u players have a great work ethic. Almost no 10 year old kids have a great work ethic in anything. Keep it fun and they will keep working. Make it work and they will quit playing.

Oct 14, 2016
So I was coaching a 12U team. Myself and my assistant were starting to get frustrated because we found ourselves repeating instructions over and over. The players tried hard and played intently but they kept making the same mistakes over and over.

About midway through our season, I was also coaching the high school team as an assistant. I was explaining the situation with the travel team to my head coach and he said this to me. "Kids don't -play- like we used to. They don't go out to the park on their own, they don't watch games on TV, they don't play pick-up games or wiffle ball..."

It was after that conversation that I had my idea. I got a small rubber ball (baseball size) and an axe handle. I brought them to a Saturday practice and I laid them down on home plate. I said "Here is your ball and bat. Split yourself up into two teams and play. The rules of softball apply but you can throw the ball at a runner in the base path to get them out also. We (the coaches) will umpire. We also added that missing a strike, or a foul ball was an out to keep the speed of the game moving."

The girls split themselves up, started playing and then the magic happened. They were communicating, they knew where the lead runner was, they yelled "eat it" or "hold it". They advanced intelligently, and worked run downs. They were down and ready on the pitch. They bunted and even used each other as base coaches.

It was amazing, and my parents laughed and said, all the things you have been saying coach, now they are doing it.

Next tournament, the girls asked when we would do another "fun" practice. I said, win a bracket game and we will. I continued to add bracket day wins to get the "fun" practice until we were winning championships.

Teach them how to "play" and you will be amazed at how well they progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12