Pushing the envelope for leaving early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I’m not talking about the early jump that could go either way by a girl mistiming the release, I’m talking about coaches telling their players to leave when the pitcher is mid-windup because no one is watching them. There is a big difference.

What if both teams leave early and no advantage is gained? It can't be cheating by definition.

Jun 7, 2016
"What if both teams leave early and no advantage is gained? It can't be cheating by definition."
Glad you are not a Supreme Court Justice. The "Everybody Else is Doing it" defense. Leaving early is against the rules. Therefore leaving early is breaking the rules. Therefore cheating. Seems rather simple if you have any ethical bearing.

May 17, 2012
"What if both teams leave early and no advantage is gained? It can't be cheating by definition."
Glad you are not a Supreme Court Justice. The "Everybody Else is Doing it" defense. Leaving early is against the rules. Therefore leaving early is breaking the rules. Therefore cheating. Seems rather simple if you have any ethical bearing.

Not even remotely close to the same thing. The umpire has ruled. Period. Remember that time the umpire called the runner safe but the runner ran off the field because she knew the throw beat her. By rule she is out. By staying on base she is cheating.

It's absurd.

May 17, 2012
Just when you think you wouldn't hear a more ridiculous story, someone comes in with a surprise.

Hey! Look. 1+1+3 and 2 wrongs equal a right. New Math. Alternative facts.

I didn't introduce the one umpire scenario someone else did. Picking and choosing what rule violations are make some one a cheater is hypocritical.

Keep your arbitrary moral standards out of my entertainment.

Oct 4, 2018
I still would not do it. Just not my style to teach young girls to go against the rules of the game. If other coaches, parents, etc, want to laugh at that, have at it. Says a lot about their character. All for the glory of the plastic trophy.

Agreed. Teaching character is far more important.

May 17, 2012
Hahahahaha. Only one type of person would argue that.

Are you saying that as a teammate you don't have an obligation to try as hard as you can and do everything you can to win the contest? That is the conversation that is worth having.

Calling 8-18 year old girls "cheaters" based on arbitrary rule violations sanctioned by an umpire is not a conversation worth having.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12