Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
That is done out front with the upper body while the lower stays back. Including the hands.
I guess I don't understand this statement in particular what it means for the upper body to adjust while keeping the hands back. What should I be seeing Jr's upper body doing in that clip?

May 12, 2016
Looks to me like JR’s timing on that pitch was perfect JMHO. I don’t see him and Lewis doing the Samething

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Do you have a video of somebody following Trout's.. or any other pro's teaching on "down to" ? Just curious what "down to" means to you in a complete swing, a game swing, not a demo swing.

This is what it means to me

View attachment 18993 View attachment 18997
View attachment 18995 View attachment 18998

Here's Trout doing what he's demoing.. the demo is "hands in isolation", but still see his hands doing the same thing when integrated in the entire swing, the barrel(path) behaves differently because of the missing components

View attachment 18999
Do you have a video of somebody following Trout's.. or any other pro's teaching on "down to" ? Just curious what "down to" means to you in a complete swing, a game swing, not a demo swing.

This is what it means to me

View attachment 18993 View attachment 18997
View attachment 18995 View attachment 18998

Here's Trout doing what he's demoing.. the demo is "hands in isolation", but still see his hands doing the same thing when integrated in the entire swing, the barrel(path) behaves differently because of the missing components

View attachment 18999

"Go Down" and hit a rise-ball! As far as I am concerned, there is little here that I do not teach. The technics can be wrapped in bows, and use different phrases, and perhaps from what I can see, this guy or that guy is engaging his scap muscles a little more, (who knows) and there are swings which I prefer for simple reasons. The more the hands and top-hand elbow are stacked before release the better I like the swing, and the more power it will have. Simple law of physics. Do the pushy punch at your opponent in a boxing match, then see a punch from a stacked position and tell me which one is going to knock the opponent off their feet. The longer, more stacked the hands above the back elbow, the more power. When the hands leak on an inside pitch, that is normal. When the back elbow gets ahead of the hands, the bat drags, swing speed is sacrificed, power is sacrificed, and quite often, the pitch is popped up because the bat-head follows the back elbow, cutting under the pitch.

What is important about the good swings is the old Donaldson, Yelich, and Trout all maintain a good arm frame or "power-box" from beginning to contact. Donaldson gets a little barred but we do not know pitch location. What I will tell you is that Some expert MLB players do not communicate well their perspectives, even Antonelli. He talks about pushing the bat knob. I have never seen that before. He talks about linear hitting pushing the bat knob. It would be counter productive in every way imaginable. If a rec-league coach does it, so be it. But no reasonable coach would voice that technic. "Down"? Shoulder tilt to get the bat path to the level of the pitch is "down". The "down" does not work without the shoulder tilt, and arms "down" do not maintain the arm frame, or "power-box", whichever you prefer to say. Shoulders tilt to assume the attack angle. Bat enters the path of pitch behind the back leg already at the height of the pitch. There is no "push" in linear. The truth is that the bat is on plane for a longer period of time that just rotational hitting. And few MLB players or D1 softball players do a 100% rotational swing. And none like girls from Tanauan in the video chop down at the ball. That is taught here by a younger Japanese coach and an old man Japanese coach that recently died. The "down" should match the height of the pitch. Like I said, "hit a rise-ball with 'down'." Film that and show me.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Here is a video of a young woman of Line Drive Nation. She does have some power, but also has doesn't quite measure up in some hitting aspects. She has more bat-wrap than I like, and perhaps that, bat weight, or focused drills leave her with a problem in her mechanics. Can you spot it?

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Back elbow is outracing the hands, she's dragging the bat. I also feel she could do a little better job of maintaining posture, her body does stand a little taller at launch.

I know this is not an absolute in hitting, but maybe at heel plant if her back elbow was parallel with the ground (back shoulder height) it would help with the bat drag. JMHO

In regard to posture, nobody explains better then this guy IMO

She looks very athletic though, meaning she can probably get a way with it to some extent.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
Great clips. The following frames after these clips is where the real swing departs from the Trout (and others like Bonds and Arod)demo. In the demo they continue to chop down past this point. In the real swings the lead arm usually levels and often starts to work up as the barrel works behind the pitch before contact (That's what this thread is about - cutting the ball or pure barrel).

What I am gathering is that many MLB players demo and description isolates the hands creating the idea that it is simply a chop. But when the core rotates correctly and shoulders are used correctly then the hands and barrel move forward and possibly even start to arc upwards as the hitter is working down. This allows the bat to move more on path with the pitch even as the batter feels they are using their hands to swing down?

That's what I am picking up.

Exactly. And you have no loop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45